In 2010 the Oregon State Library, Oregon Library Association, and Oregon College Savings Plan partnered together to launch a program in conjunction with the statewide summer reading program. The program encourages parents, grandparents, and legal guardians of children 0-18 years old to enter to win a $1,000 Oregon College Savings Plan. At the end of each summer up to 15 winners, three from each of Oregon's five congressional districts, will be selected in a random drawing. The libraries indicated on the winning entry forms will receive $500 for their next summer reading program. In 2011 the Oregon College Savings Plan began underwriting one free summer reading performer for each legally established public library serving communities of 10,000 or fewer, brining crowd-drawing events to small libraries that otherwise couldn't afford them.
Every Fall all public libraries order program materials when they complete the annual summer reading statistics and ordering survey administered by the State Library. This is an optional component of the summer reading program, and individual libraries may use the program materials in whatever way works best with their local summer reading program. Each year the name of the program will change to reflect the current summer reading program theme.
The 2013 We Dig Summer Reading and Saving for College program winners were:
· Alejandro Mendoza (Parent: Marta Traxtle) of Albany; Albany Public Library
· Chloe Hagel (Parent: Tina Hagel) of Sandy; Sandy Public Library
· Cody Griffin (Parent: Wendy Griffin) of Stanfield; Stanfield Public Library
· Elise Reese (Parent: Edward Reese) of Philomath; Philomath Community Library
· Elise Ritter (Parent: Laurel Ritter) of Corvallis; Corvallis-Benton County Public Library
· Elliott Frempong (Parent: Sarah Frempong) of Tualatin; Tualatin Public Library
· Hannah Zamora (Parent: Janell Zamora) of Hines; Harney County Library
· Ian Castaneda (Parent: Nancy Castaneda) of Portland; Hillsboro Main Library
· Ian Long (Parent: Kim Long) of Hillsboro; Hillsboro Main Library
· Keegan Ferro (Parent: Erin Ferro) of Portland; Belmont Library (Multnomah County Library)
· Mateo Minato (Parent: Amy Minato) of Portland; Hillsdale Library (Multnomah County Library)
· Priyanka Basak (Parent: Gloria Basak) of West Linn; West Linn Public Library
· Rachel Doughton (Parent: Errin Doughton) of Jefferson; Jefferson Public LIbrary
· Taima Marrietta (Grandparent: Denice Lindsey) of Lakeview; Lake County Library
Please check back in June 2014 to learn about the next program.