Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image

Eloise Ebert (1959-1976)
State Librarian Eloise Ebert
Eloise Ebert’s tenure as state librarian started in 1959.  The first major change during her time at OSL came in 1962 when a Field Services Division, under the administration of a Director, was established to promote development of public library services and provide consultant services.  This department is known today as Library Development Services. 
 
In 1965, the Pacific Northwest Library Compact became a law in Oregon, Washington and Idaho, encouraging and facilitating the sharing of resources amongst these three states.  It was the third interstate library compact created in the nation and was modeled on the compact created by the Council of State Governments.
 
It was also in 1965 that OSL published a Master Book Catalog; the first book catalog to be published by any State Library in the nation.  It contained a listing of all adult non-fiction acquired prior to November 1965, with plans to publish bi-monthly supplements. The catalog was equivalent to a 1,200 drawer card catalog. 
 
1965 also saw the creation of the federal State Technology Act which encouraged providing library services to businesses, science, and industry.
 
In 1969, the Legislative Assembly appropriated funds to enable the State Library to increase participation in the Talking Books program.  Talking Book and Braille Services then moved from Multnomah County Library to the Oregon State Library, Church Street annex in Salem.
 
Although the State Library added the Talking Book department, it lost the Archives Division and archival services when they were transferred from the State Library to the Secretary of State’s office in 1973.
 
In 1974, people with disabilities other than visual impairments became eligible for Talking Book services.  As a result, Talking Books moved in 1976 to the Marion and 13th street annex of the State Library as their space needs grew.
 
The Oregon State Library began a project in May of 1976, in cooperation with Portland State University, to create the Oregon Regional Union List of Serials (ORULS).  ORULS incorporated the holdings of 48 college, university, public, and special libraries.
 
To view historic photos from 1959-1976 follow the link below:
 
Photos 1959-1976