Skip to the main content of the page


​​​Your local AAA can provide referrals to a lawyer in your area. Also see ​ how to find a lawyer below.​

Legal Assistance Program

Legal services are available for adults age 60+ with the greatest social or economic need.

  • Access to legal services can help older adults lead lives that are more independent, healthy and safe. 
  • Oregon's local ​Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs) receive federal funding, and some local matching funds, to fund legal services prioritized by the Older Americans Act of 1965​ (Title III-B).
  • AAAs contract with local legal aid organizations or other law firms to provide funded services. 
  • AAAs reimburse lawyers for providing these services, however available funding usually only covers a relatively small number of clients each year. 

Priority legal assistance services

As funding allows, services are provided locally to adults age 60+ for legal issues related to:

  • Maintaining income and public benefits
  • Access to health care
  • Help with health care billing disputes
  • Long-term care, either at home or in a licensed care facility
  • Access to food benefits (SNAP program)
  • Housing: improper eviction or help with subsidized housing
  • Utilities: new access, shut offs, or payment plans
  • Protective services: help with elder abuse or neglect
  • Legal defense against unwanted guardianship proceedings
  • Age discrimination

To request services

How to ​find a lawyer

Use the resources below if you have a legal problem o​r want to get legal advice from an Oregon lawyer.

See also: Advice from the Oregon State Bar about hiring a lawyer

​Oregon Law Center (OLC) provides legal help to people struggling to make ends meet on matters related to their homes, livelihoods, medical care and physical safety against domestic violence.  Some offices also specifically serve low-income farmworkers in Oregon.


  • Coos Bay regional office
    541-269-1226 (Coos-Curry, Western Douglas counties)

  • Grants Pass regional office
  • Gresham farmworker office

  • Hillsboro regional office

  • Lane County Legal Aid office

  • McMinnville office

  • Ontario regional office
  • Portland regional office

  • Salem regional office

  • St. Helens office

  • Woodburn Farmworker Office

  • Statewide Hotline for public benefits
    Monday and Thursday 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
    Tuesday and Wednesday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

​​Oregon State Bar


Center for Non-Profit Legal Services (Jackson County):
Phone: (541) 779-7291

​Oregon Law Help

Oregon State Bar

Oregon State Courts

Aging and Disability Resource Center

​Useful Resources

Useful Forms

  • Oregon Advance Directive forms (nomination form and instructions form, in English and Spanish): see the forms link on this page
  • Oregon Declaration for Mental Health Treatment (form); information

Useful Benefits Tools

Some state agencies investigate complaints that might otherwise require a lawyer to resolve: 

​​Program Standards

Targeting Clients Most in Need of Legal Services, and other Program Improvements

(Materials provided by the National Center on Law & Elder Rights)

  • Targeting OAA legal assistance services without means testing (recording, slides)
  • Strengthening partnerships and improving communication (summary, recording, slides)
  • Building your local legal services program (summary, recording, slides)
  • Elder justice Compendium guide (existing resources available to attorneys who are assisting victims of elder abuse)

Federal Older Americans Act (March 2020 compilation and reauthorization)

Oregon's Elderly Persons And Persons With Disabilities Abuse Prevention Act (ORS Chapter 124: Abuse Prevention; Reporting; Civil Actions)