Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Child Support in Oregon
  Also see: Child support rules
Child support services are available to both custodial and noncustodial parents. Even if a parent lives in another state, the parent can apply for services in Oregon. Relatives or other caretakers who have physical custody of a child are also entitled to child support services. Services are automatically provided to families who receive Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) or Medicaid benefits, and to non-assistance families if they request help.

Services that are provided by the Oregon Child Support Program include:
  • record keeping and distribution services
  • locating a parent
  • establishment of paternity
  • establishment and enforcement of a support order
  • periodic review and modification of existing support orders
  • establishment and enforcement of medical support
If your child receives public assistance in Oregon or received it in the past, as a general rule, the Department of Justice, Division of Child Support (DCS) will provide child support services. Public assistance means Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Medicaid (including Oregon Health Plan Services). DCS also provides services if your child is in the care of the Department of Human Services (i.e., foster care) or the Oregon Youth Authority.

If your child has not received public assistance, you can receive child support services from the District Attorney in the county where you live. In a few counties, DCS provides services for the District Attorney by contracted agreement.

Resource links