College Opportunity Grant Tax Credit Auction
We are holding an online tax credit auction with the Higher Education Coordinating Commission for 28,000 increments of $500 tax certificates. This auction runs December 6-10, 2021 with funds going to the Oregon Opportunity Grant Fund.
Individuals and businesses with an Oregon income tax liability may bid on the certificates and claim the credits on 2021 tax returns. Any amount not used on your 2021 return can be carried forward up to three years. You can't transfer the credits to anyone else.
Bidding begins at 9 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST), December 6, 2021 and ends at 5 p.m. PST, December 10, 2021. We won't accept online bids before or after these times.
The minimum discount percentage is 90 percent of the credit value. Therefore, the minimum bid amount for each $500 credit increment is $450.
- The earlier you bid, the better. If there's a tie, the earliest bid wins.
- Bid as many times as you like. If you submit multiple bids, we will issue certificates for all winning bids. You can't change your bid once it's submitted.
- You must bid at least $450 per increment.
After placing your bid, deliver the following to our offices by
5 p.m. PST, December 17, 2021:
Submit a separate form and full payment for each bid. Payment must be a cashier's check, certified check, or money order made payable to Oregon Department of Revenue.
See the Tax Credit Auction form and instructions for mailing and contact information. You may call to schedule an appointment if you plan to submit your form and payment in person.
If your bid isn't successful, we'll return your payment to the address you provide on the form.
Your bid will be invalidated if:
- Your payment and form are late.
- Your payment isn't for the full amount or doesn't match your bid amount.
- You don't include the form with your payment, or the form is incomplete.
Certificates and unsuccessful bids
Certificates will be issued by the Higher Education Coordinating Commission. Unsuccessful bid payments will be returned by certified mail by January 7, 2022.
Note: Contributions are not deductible on your Oregon return.