Oregon Agriculture

The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) administers many programs that affect agriculture producers and processors. These programs could also affect cannabis production, processing, wholesale, and retail activities.

The Oregon Health Authority and the Oregon Liquor Control Commission​ are the lead agencies for medical and recreational marijuana, respectively. Due to ODA's authorities, ODA is associated with many of the elements related to cannabis.

This page will continue to be updated as new information is received. 

Agricultural water quality: Protecting Oregon's waterways

The Oregon Department of Agriculture is responsible for developing plans to prevent and control water pollution from agricultural activities and soil erosion on rural lands.

Issues related to agriculture that can negatively impact water quality include: 

  • Sediment from eroding croplands, pasture lands, and stream banks 
  • Erosion and runoff from farm roads
  • Runoff of pesticides or nutrients from fertilizers
  • Runoff of nutrients and bacteria from animal manure
  • Cannabis and agricultural water quality handout​

Agricultural lands can protect and improve water quality. For example, healthy streamside vegetation prevents runoff from excessive sediment and stabilizes stream banks.

Each region of the state has its own unique way to protect Oregon's waterways. Growing cannabis is an agricultural activity. For more information about cannabis and water quality, visit the Agricult​ural Water Quality Program​.​

​Food safety: Do I need a license? 

In general, ODA is responsible for regulating the production, processing, and distribution of food products in the state of Oregon.

  • Cannabinoid edibles must be manufactured according to the same standards of that of traditional foods, with the exception of packaging and labeling requirements that were established by HB 3400.
  • A cannabis-processing license is required, which is not provided by ODA. However, ODA can provide on-site consultation assistance, review site plans, or issue a food safety license. 
  • ODA will not be able to issue a home (domestic) food safety license for the manufacturing of cannabinoid edibles.
  • Cannabis and food safety licensing handout​

If you are considering manufacturing a cannabinoid edible, visit the Food Safety Program​. ​

Pesticides: What should I know before I use a product?

With respect to pesticide use, the pesticide label is the law. 

  • There are no pesticides specifically labeled for the production of marijuana, therefore ODA is developing criteria to help cultivators identify pesticide products that may be used for the production of Oregon cannabis. ODA has compiled a guidance list​ of pesticide products that satisfy the criteria.
  • Pesticide labels contain both mandatory and advisory statements in order to provide protection for the pesticide user. Worker safety requirements can differ between an indoor grow and an outdoor grow. Following pesticide label instructions is not only the law but reduces the risk of unintended consequences.
  • Only general use pesticides may be allowed for cannabis, therefore a pesticide applicator license is not required as long as the pesticide application is made to your own cannabis crop. If you hire an individual or a business to make a pesticide application to your crop, the applicator and business must be appropriately licensed by ODA.
  • Cannabis and pesticides handout ​

For more information about pesticide products and licensing, visit the Pesticide and Fertilizer Program​.

Scales: What kind of scale do I need?

​Selling marijuana items, whether the sale is between a grower and a processor or a retailer and a customer, must take place using an ODA licensed commercial scale. All points of a commercial transaction must take place on a licensed commercial scale.

It is important to remember that not any scale will work. 

  • The scale must be National Type Evaluation Program (NTEP) approved. 
  • The size of the transaction will also dictate the capacity of the scale needed. For example, a scale used to sell large batches of flower to a wholesaler may not be appropriate for selling a small amount of flower to a retail customer.
  • Cannabis and commercial scale licensing handout​

For more information about ODA licensed commercial scales, visit the Weights and Measures Program.


Business Readiness Guidebook for Oregon Recreational Marijuana Operations

This document is intended for establishing OLCC licensed recreational marijuana businesses. Business Readiness Guidebook

Cannabis & Food Safety Information

Information on food safety licenses and cannabis. Cannabis and food safety license handout

Cannabis & Pesticides information

Cannabis and pesticides handout

Cannabis & Water Quality Information

Cannabis and water quality handout

Cannabis & Weights and Measures Information

Cannabis and commercial scales handout

Cannabis email subscription

Sign up to receive email when new information is available from ODA on cannabis. Subscribe to the cannabis email list

Cannabis rules & regulations workshop materials

From the Oregon Farm Bureau and Oregon Association of Nurseries workshop held October 14, 2015. Oregon Farm Bureau workshop webpage

Oregon Cannabis: Cultivate Your Business with ODA

ODA administers many programs that affect agriculture producers and processors. These programs could apply to your cannabis business. ODA and cannabis business poster



Oregon Department of Agriculture marijuana questions:

Oregon Liquor Control Commission recreational marijuana questions: marijuana@oregon.gov

Oregon Health Authority 
medical marijuana questions: medmj.dispensaries@state.or.us​​

More info from ODA

Industrial hemp information

Cannabis info email subscription​