Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

How to Become a Third Party CDL Tester

A "Third Party CDL Tester" is an organization that has been issued a Third Party CDL Tester Certificate by DMV and employs a Third Party CDL Examiner.

A Third Party CDL Examiner is an individual "employed" by the Tester who actually conducts the pre-trip vehicle inspection, basic control skills and drive tests for Class A, B, or C commercial driver licenses (CDL), in lieu of DMV conducting the tests. These Examiners can conduct CDL tests only for Oregon residents.

Getting the Certificate
To Qualify
In order to qualify to become a Third Party CDL Tester/Examiner you must meet the following requirements:
  • Hold a valid commercial driver license for a minimum of three years before applying.
  • Successfully complete a training program (costing approximately $1,200 - $3,600 dependent on class size, vehicle availability, etc).
  • Provide a current insurance certificate which maintains a minimum of $1 million of commercial general liability coverage listing the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) as an additional insured. $1 million of auto liability coverage is also required if the tester provides the vehicle used for testing.
  • Provide a current surety bond certificate which maintains a minimum of $2500 coverage listing ODOT as an additional insured.
  • Enter into a Third Party CDL Tester agreement with ODOT/DMV.
  • Provide evidence of at least three years of experience operating commercial motor vehicles or two years of experience training or testing commercial motor vehicle operators. You must have the CDL class(es) and endorsement(s) for which you intend to conduct tests.
  • Not have any disqualifying traffic offenses or crimes on your driving record.
  • If a motor carrier, have a satisfactory safety rating.
  • Maintain a permanent office or business location in Oregon, or within 50 miles of the Oregon border, where records are kept securely and available for inspection by DMV or FMCSA.
  • An email address with Internet access and basic computer skills.
In addition, applicants should have strong administrative and business skills.
  • Third Party CDL Testers and their Examiners cannot conduct school bus endorsement, motorcycle, or non-commercial Class C drive tests.
  • A Third Party CDL Tester or their Examiners who train their own employees on any part of the drive tests cannot conduct a drive test on those employees.
  • A Third Party Examiner employed by a commercial truck or bus driver training school cannot test a driver who has been trained by the CDL Examiner or trained by anyone employed by the school.

To Apply
If you feel you qualify and are interested in becoming a Third Party CDL Tester, please call (503) 945-5118 to receive a Third Party CDL Tester application packet, which includes the following:

  • A copy of the Oregon Administrative Rules outlining the eligibility qualifications and responsibilities for both the Third Party CDL Tester and Third Party CDL Examiner;
  • A sample of the Third Party CDL Tester agreement (to be completed by an individual or employer);
  • A Third Party CDL Tester application (to be completed by an individual or an employer);
  • A Third Party CDL Examiner application (to be completed by an individual employed by a Third Party CDL Tester);
  • Authorization to receive tax compliance information from the Oregon Department of Revenue.
Before we can send an application packet, we will need the business name (must be registered with the Corporate Division of the Oregon Secretary of State), address and phone number of the Third Party CDL Tester applicant along with the name, address, phone number and driver license number of any individuals who will be applying to become a Third Party CDL Examiner.

Maintaining the Certificate
To maintain a valid Third Party CDL Examiner Certificate, you must meet the following requirements:
  • Conduct at least 10 CDL drive tests each calendar year to 10 different applicants;
  • Submit to scheduled or unscheduled inspections and/or ride-along skills test evaluations by DMV and/or FMCSA; and
  • Complete periodic refresher training at your expense when required by DMV.
Related Information