Emergency Overtime Permit Application

For the Employment of Minors 16 and 17 Years of Age

Oregon Administrative Rules (839-021-0067) regulate the hours of work of minors age 16 and 17 in the following ways:
  1. An employer may not employ a 16 or 17 year old to work more than 44 hours per week (except those employed in organized youth camps or those employed in agricultural employment).
  2. The maximum number of hours for a 16 or 17 year old employed in a cannery is ten hours per day.
An employer who wishes to employ a 16 or 17 year old to work more than 44 hours per week must first obtain an Emergency Overtime Permit from the Bureau. This permit will not be issued unless: (a) The number of hours do not exceed those provided by statute; and (b) When the minor is not otherwise exempt from the overtime pay provisions of any law, the minor receives one and one half times the regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 in a workweek.
An employer who wishes to employ a 16 or 17 year old in a cannery for time in excess of ten hours per day, may apply in writing to the Child Labor Unit of the Wage and Hour Division, Bureau of Labor and Industries, 800 NE Oregon St., Suite 1045, Portland OR 97232-2180.
(a) The employer must set out the full and complete circumstances of the proposed employment in the written application.
(b) The Bureau will investigate the terms and conditions of the proposed employment and if the Bureau determines that the character of the employment is suitable and that the employment will not adversely affect the physical and moral well-being of the minor, the Bureau will issue a Special Emergency Overtime Permit to the employer.
The form set out below may be used to apply for an emergency overtime permit. If you have any questions regarding the overtime permit for minors or any of the child labor laws, please contact the Child Labor Unit of the Bureau of Labor and Industries at (971) 673-0836.