Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Employment Certificate Application Instructions
Wage and Hour: Child Labor
For Hiring Minors 14-17 Years of Age
An Annual Employment Certificate Application must be filed and renewed each year.
Instructions for properly completing the application
Complete the top portion of the application, identifying the business name, address, telephone number, etc.
  1. Enter the estimated number of minors to be employed.
  2. Indicate whether you anticipate employing 14- and 15-year-olds and/or 16- and 17-year-olds.
  3. Describe ALL the duties, work areas and addresses where work is to be performed by the minors covered by this application.
  4. List ALL power driven machinery/equipment that the minors will operate or assist in the operating.
  5. If you employ minors in agriculture, answer whether they will be operating tractors or other farm machinery.
Take or mail the completed application to the Portland address listed on the form or to any office of the Bureau of Labor and Industries. Keep a copy of this application for your employer records.
If the application is properly completed and the employment complies with all laws and rules for the employment of minors, BOLI´s Wage and Hour Division will issue a validated Employment Certificate.
If it appears that the employment will violate any law or rule pertaining to the employment of minors, the division will deny the application and return it to the employer. The division will also notify the employer of the denial. The employer may revise the duties proposed in order to comply with the child labor law.
With each application the division will send a summary of the child labor laws to employers. Your signature on the application will signify that you have received the summary and that you agree to comply with the child labor laws.
Maintaining the Employment Certificate
Employers must retain the validated Annual Employment Certificate during the period of time for which it is issued and post the certificate in a conspicuous place where all employees can readily see it.
If you have questions on the application of child labor laws to your business, contact the Bureau of Labor and Industries Technical Assistance Unit at (971) 673-0824 for clarification.