“To protect and serve Oregon’s consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.”
DCBS is Oregon’s largest consumer protection and business regulatory agency. We are a resource to consumers and businesses in areas involving:
- Finance (insurance, investments, Oregon-chartered banks and credit unions, consumer finance companies, mortgage lenders, pawnbrokers, payday lenders)
- Workplace health and safety
- Building safety
The department is made up of 934 employees from various backgrounds and fields. From economists to consumer advocates, DCBS employees strive to provide the highest quality service to Oregon consumers, workers, and businesses. How we can serve you:
- Licensing, chartering, and examining: Financial and insurance companies and professionals, building trades workers and inspectors, worker leasing
- Educating and advocating: Workplace safety workshops, insurance hotline, Medicare counseling, investor outreach, workers’ compensation helplines
- Setting and enforcing standards: Workplace safety and health, financial and insurance laws, building codes, workers’ compensation benefits
Since 2016 Lou has served as the administrator of the Workers’ Compensation Division. He also served as the senior policy advisor and legislative director for DCBS for nearly 10 years. He was also the Oregon Insurance commissioner from 2011 to 2013.
Lou Savage is a member of the Oregon State Bar. Before joining state government, he spent his career working on consumer and business issues in the nonprofit, private, and public sectors. His background includes serving as director of Multnomah County Legal Aid, state director for Oregon Congressman (now Senator) Ron Wyden’s office, and private law practice.
Lou Savage nearly 3 years in Tunisia consulting and training with attorneys in North Africa and the Middle East.
Lou Savage has a law degree from Lewis & Clark College and a bachelor’s degree from the University of Oregon.
2017 DCBS Annual Performance Report