Skip to the main content of the page

Non-Departmental Adoptions

​Licensing of private child-caring agencies

Information or concerns about a particular Oregon licensed child-caring agency should be directed to the Licensing Unit at 503-947-5208​. Please view the Licensing rules (II-C.1.3, Licensing Adoption Agencies - OAR) for more information.

Statute and administrative rules

View the Administrative Rules covering private adoptions, I-G.4 (Independent Adoption), and the Oregon statute covering adoptions, ORS 109.

Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA)

If the child has Indian (Native American) heritage, compliance with the Indian Child Welfare Act is required. This may mean contacting the particular Native American tribe(s) and submitting relevant documentation before the adoption can be granted. ​