In the 2016 and 2017 legislative sessions, new laws were passed to improve safety and oversight in most substitute care settings for children and young adults. First, in 2016, SB 1515
changed how the Department of Human Services (DHS) regulates child-caring agencies (CCA) and responds to safety concerns and reports of child abuse or neglect. In 2017, many of the provisions of SB 1515 were expanded to apply to DHS certified foster homes (including homes certified by Child Welfare and Office of Developmental Disabilities Services (ODDS)) and ODDS licensed group homes.
This page provides information for providers, DHS staff, and other interested parties to learn about DHS' actions to comply with the new laws and ensure the highest standards of safety are provided to children whenever they reside or receive services outside of their family homes.
SB 243 and related legislation (2017)
Background Information and Fact Sheets
Training for Providers on New Requirements
- The department is amending several rules to implement 2017 legislation and make other changes. Rule text and information relating to the changes will be available on the Child Welfare Policy and Rule page starting January 1, 2018.
SB 1515 (2016)
SB 1515 Communications from 2016
- August 31, 2016 - DHS Director's Message, Rules Advisory Committee
- August 17, 2106 - DHS Director's Message, SB 1515 Update
- July 25, 2016 - DHS Director's Message, Rules Advisory Committee
- July 13, 2016 - You are invited to the next Senate Bill (SB) 1515 stakeholder meeting
- July 1, 2016, Senate Bill 1515: Reporting Clarification
- July 1, 2016 - DHS Director's Message, What Are Your Responsibilities?
- June 28, 2016 - DHS Director's Message, SB 1515 Changes.
- June 27, 2016 - DHS Director's Message, SB 1515
- June 27, 2016 - Memo to CCA from CCLU Manager, Harry Gilmore
- May 25, 2016 - Memo: Changes to licensing on-site review schedule and process
- May 24, 2016 - Invitation to SB 1515 stakeholder meeting June 8, 2016
- May 10, 2016 - Message SB 1515 Implementation
2016 Stakeholder Meetings on SB 1515