Legal Assistance Development Program (OAA Title III-B)

Timely access to legal services can help older persons to lead lives that are more independent, healthy and safe. Oregon's local Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs) can provide referrals and access to a lawyer in your geographic area. AAAs contract with local legal aid organizations or other law firms to provide funded services to persons aged 60+ in important legal topic areas. Each AAA receives federal funding, distributed through the state, to go towards funding legal services in the areas prioritized by the Older Americans Act (OAA).

Priority Legal Assistance Services

Legal services are available for seniors (aged 60+) with the greatest social or economic need through local service providers for legal issues related to:

  • Maintenance and continuation of income and public benefits
  • Access to health care and health care related billing disputes
  • Long-term care, whether received at home or in a licensed care home
  • Access to nutrition, food subsidy benefits (SNAP, Oregon Trail card, or food stamps)
  • Housing: defending against improper eviction or assistance with subsidized housing
  • Utilities: new access, shut offs, or payment plans
  • Protective services: for help with elder abuse, neglect and other unlawful discrimination
  • Legal defense against unwanted guardianship proceedings
  • Age discrimination

AAAs contract to reimburse lawyers for providing these services; however, funding for these services is mostly provided by the federal government (plus local “matching" funds of some percentage) and typically is only enough to cover services for a relatively small number of clients each year.

Call your local branch office of the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC), or this statewide referral phone number:

Or send an email to:

How to Find a Lawyer

If you have a legal problem or want a consultation with an Oregon lawyer for legal advice, below are some resources to get you started.

Read this advice from the Oregon State Bar about hiring a lawyer.

​Oregon Law Center (OLC) provides legal help to people struggling to make ends meet on matters related to their homes, livelihoods, medical care and physical safety against domestic violence.  Some offices also specifically serve low-income farmworkers in Oregon.


  • Coos Bay region:
    (541) 269-1226 (Coos-Curry, Western Douglas counties)

  • Grants Pass region:
    (541) 476-1058

  • Hillsboro Farmworker Office:
    (503) 726– 4381

  • Hillsboro regional office:
    (503) 640-4115

  • Lane County Legal Aid office:
    (541) 485-1017

  • McMinnville office:
    (503) 472-9561

  • Ontario region:
    (541) 889-3121

  • Salem region:
    (503) 485-0696

  • St. Helens office:
    (503) 397-1628

  • Woodburn Farmworker Office:
    (503) 981-0336

  • Statewide Hotline for public benefits:
    Monday and Thursday 1pm-4pm
    Tuesday and Wednesday 9am-12pm

​​Oregon State Bar


Center for Non-Profit Legal Services (Jackson County):
Phone: (541) 779-7291

​Useful Resources

Useful Forms

  • Oregon Advance Directive forms (nomination form and instructions form, in English and Spanish): see the forms link on this page
  • Oregon Declaration for Mental Health Treatment (form); information

Useful Benefits Tools

Some state agencies investigate complaints that might otherwise require a lawyer to resolve: 

Program Standards

Targeting Clients Most in Need of Legal Services, and other Program Improvements

(Materials provided by the National Center on Law & Elder Rights)

Federal Older Americans Act (March 2020 compilation and reauthorization)

Oregon's Elderly Persons And Persons With Disabilities Abuse Prevention Act (ORS Chapter 124: Abuse Prevention; Reporting; Civil Actions)