What is iWire?
The iWire online portal is for employers and businesses to upload their W2 or 1099 information; do not submit personal W2 or 1099s to iWire.
W-2s and 1099s
Businesses and payroll service providers must submit all W-2s electronically using iWire. Businesses that issue 1099s must also submit their information returns using iWire*. We don't accept information returns in any other format.
The deadline for filing W-2s and 1099-NEC is January 31 of the following year. Other forms—1099-MISC, 1099-R, 1099-G, 1099-K, and W-2G—are due March 31 of the following year.
Requirements and penalties
We may assess penalties of up to $25,000 for not filing electronically, filing incorrect or incomplete W-2s or 1099s, or filing late.
*Required 1099s are the 1099-G, 1099-K, 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC, 1099-R, and W-2G. Other 1099s, including 1099-DIV and 1099-INT, are not required.
New for tax year 2023
The Social Security Administration and IRS did not make any specification changes for Tax Year 2023.
Oregon Bulk XML Submissions
The Oregon Department of Revenue will utilize a subset of the version 5.2 FSET-standard XML schemas to allow for bulk filing of the following returns:
- Oregon Annual Reconciliation (Form OR-WR)
- Oregon Statewide Transit Tax (Forms OR-STT1, STT2, and STTA) - Beginning with Q1 2023 returns, the Statewide Transit Tax will be filed on the OQ. More Information on this change can be found on the Oregon Statewide Transit Tax website. STT-A filers and filers submitting returns for tax periods before quarter 1 2023 may continue to use the bulk XML submission process.
- Oregon 1099s
This process is intended for participants who (1) have technical expertise to create and validate an XML document or (2) are using software that provides this service.
Oregon Annual Reconciliation (Form OR-WR)
Starting with tax year 2019, businesses and payroll service providers will be required to file the Oregon Annual Reconciliation electronically (OAR 150-316-0359(5)(b)). These returns can be filed in Revenue Online by logging in, selecting the business, clicking the Withholding Reconciliation/iWire account, and choosing "File Return" next to the desired filing period.
Developers and software providers interested in bulk filing Form OR-WR can download the Form OR-WR Developers Package.
Oregon Statewide Transit Tax (Forms OR-STT1, STT2, and STTA)
Developers and software providers interested in Bulk filing for statewide transit tax can download the Form OR-STT Developers Package. Please refer to our Oregon Statewide Transit Tax website for further explanation on bulk XML filings for STT Tax.
Developers and software providers interested in bulk filing for 1099s can upload their IRIS file through our iWire Website, please follow the steps to Take Me to iWire and select the option 1099-XML.
Frequently asked questions
If you're having trouble, please review these frequently asked questions. If you still have questions, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 503-945-8100, option 4.
A: The Statewide Transit Tax electronic filing requirement went into effect in tax year 2018. The first year was utilized to educate and assist employers with meeting this new requirement. Beginning tax year 2019, we began enforcing this electronic filing requirement.
A: If your file has already processed, you'll have to make a new submission with the correct information. After submitting the correct information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- If you're a logged-in user, please send us the confirmation numbers for both the old and new submissions.
- If you're a non-logged-in user, please send us the request codes for both the old and new submissions.
Once we get that information, we'll remove the incorrect records from our system.
If your submission hasn't processed yet, you can retrieve your submission and select Edit to make changes.
If you're trying to recover your password and you haven't heard from us, you most likely don't have an account set up yet. To use our non-logged-in option:
1. Go to Revenue Online.
2. Select File W-2s and 1099s using iWire under the Business Tab.
You can also can set up your Revenue Online account and file from there.
To find your submission:
- If you're a logged-in user, look under Requests in the Activity Center.
- If you're a non-logged-in user, click on Review Prior Revenue Online submissions under the Tools tab on the Revenue Online main page.
Please be sure to click Edit rather than View if you're looking to add records or submit them.
We do still accept these files, but you may have selected the incorrect
filing option. To upload the formatted text files, you need to select Upload
There are two possibilities:
1. On the Filing Options screen, you selected Upload bulk submissions instead of Manually enter information from individual forms or import a spreadsheet from a template. Please select the second option and then press the Import button.
2. You didn't use our spreadsheet template. Our template is available in the Resources tab to the right.
When submitting a spreadsheet, please be sure to include your information beginning in the third row of the sheet. The first two rows will be ignored. There are also some helpful tips within the spreadsheet itself on the sheet titled "Review this first."
You should be able to view your previous submissions online if you manually entered them or used the spreadsheet.
- If you're a logged-in user, you should log in and look under Requests in the Activity Center.
- If you're a non-logged-in user, please click on Review Prior Revenue Online submissions under the Tools tab on the Revenue Online main page.
If you uploaded from .txt files, that information won't be available online. If you need a list of the businesses you submitted, please let us know.
As a third party, you can file all the iWire submissions through your
own account if you're a business, or through your client if you're an
individual. If you're uploading a bulk file, you can include multiple
businesses in a single file or submit separate files for each business. If
you're manually entering the information, be sure to check the box for
"Payer different from submitter," and then enter your client's
business information. You can also use the non-logged in option to file for
When you click Add/Delete/Edit W-2s, it pops up
another summary screen. To add a W-2, click the blue tab that says Add
W-2 in the top right corner.
Click the Add/Delete/Edit button for the records you’re
trying to enter. That listed box is just a count of the records you’ve entered,
not a field for entry.
Our new system uses a full nine-digit identifier. If you left-fill your BIN with zeros, it will work fine. Example: If your BIN is 1234567-8, it should be entered as 01234567-8.
You’re most likely getting this error because you haven’t entered all of
the state information from the bottom portion of the Form W-2. You must enter
the wages earned in each state. The sum of the entries in Box 16 should equal
the number in Box 1. Once it does, the error message will go away.
Beginning with tax year 2017 (the 2018 filing season), all 1099s will
need to be filed with us electronically.
No. You do not need to report Paid Leave Oregon contributions on W-2s.