Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

What happens after I file?

If you're expecting a refund

Check the status of your refund on Where's My Refund?

If you can't pay your taxes

Additional resources

Frequently asked questions


​If you don't receive an acknowledgement after three business days, contact your tax preparer or your software company. It's their responsibility to pass this information on to you.​

​Please call us at 503-945-8200 before your payment due date.​

You'll need the following:

  • ​The Request for Identity Verification letter we sent.
  • Your Social Security number.

The quiz takes five minutes to complete. Visit Revenue Online and take the identity verification quiz.

​You can download the Form OR-40-V and mail it in with your payment. Your payment must be postmarked no later than April 18 to avoid penalty and interest.​

​We accept the date of the IRS electronic postmark as the filing date for your e-filed Oregon return. Don’t send in a paper return.​

​We accept the date of the IRS electronic postmark as the filing date for your e-filed Oregon return. Don't send in a paper return.​

​Timely-filed returns are destroyed four years after the due date of the return. For example, 2009 returns were destroyed after April 15, 2014. Delinquent (late) returns are kept four years after the returns are filed. Returns for open accounts with a balance due greater than $100 are kept indefinitely. If an account balance is less than $100, the return is destroyed, but information reported on the return is retained.​

​If you haven’t mailed your return, you must re-print the entire return after you make changes. Print and send to us the entire updated return to avoid unnecessary processing delays. Also be sure to follow your software’s instructions when making changes to barcode returns.
If you’ve already printed and mailed your return, you’ll need to file an amended return.​

​You should receive acknowledgement from your tax preparer, or the software company used to file your returns.​

​You have three years from the date the return is originally filed or from the due date of the return, whichever is later. If you're filing an amended return claiming a refund, you have two years from the date of any tax being paid, if that is later than the three-year statutory deadline. If you were audited by the IRS, you have two years from the date of the federal audit. If you file an amended return with the IRS and the changes affect your Oregon taxable income, you must amend your Oregon return within 90 days of amending your federal return.​

​You should pay any taxes owed by the due date. Pay your debt in full as soon as you can. If you can't pay in full, you may be able to setup a payment plan with us.​

​You need to amend your return. We accept amended returns electronically, but your software provider may not support this option.​​


​All returns are processed through our computerized processing system, regardless of how the return is prepared or whether it is mailed or e-filed. A return with a situation that’s outside our system’s processing abilities is processed manually, which takes more time.​

​Yes. Federal and Oregon returns are separate, even though they are sent in the same transmission if you file electronically.​

​Each situation is different. Call us to discuss your specific situation.​

​The lost check must be at least 30 days old. You must complete a Statement of Ownership form to request a new check. Allow two to four weeks for your replacement check to arrive.​

If your refund needs to be apportioned between several accounts through our Other Agency Accounts (OAA) unit, allow four to six weeks for processing. Allow three months for all other types of apportionments. You must request your apportionment in writing within 30 days of the date of the notice telling you your refund was applied to your spouse's outstanding debt. The refund is apportioned based on your adjusted gross income.

​Electronic payments through Revenue Online: One to three days.
Payments by mail: About one week.
Payments through third-party providers: About two to three weeks.
Mailed payments received near the return due date may take additional time to post to your account.​

​You can check the status of your refund on our website (Where's My Refund?) or through our automated phone system at 503-378-4988 or toll-free at 800-356-4222. To check your refund status, you'll need:

The Social Security number of the first person listed on your return.

The type of the tax return you filed: Form OR-40, Form OR-40-N, or Form OR-40-P.

The amount of refund requested on your return.    

No, we can't change the direct deposit information provided on your tax return. Whenever a direct deposit fails, we mail a check to the address on your return. The check takes about two weeks to reach the taxpayer after the department's attempted direct deposit date.

​Return processing times vary depending on many factors, including complexity of the return and our verification processes. Electronically filed returns process faster. Paper returns must have all supporting documentation included to ensure smooth processing. Paper returns can also take longer as the tax due date approaches, when the largest number of returns are received. ​

​When part of your refund is used to pay outstanding debts, the remaining balance is issued to you at the same time with a notice explaining which debts were paid.​

No, you have to select direct deposit when you file your return. Direct deposit information can’t be changed, added, or removed once the form(s) is submitted.

​If you moved and didn’t update your mailing address with us or the U.S. Postal Service, your tax refund check might have been returned as undeliverable. If you think this happened to you, check Revenue Online to see if your refund has been issued, or contact us.​

You will receive a letter from us within 10 days of your refund deposit. Please wait until you receive the letter before contacting us.

​If it's been more than two years since your expected refund, visit the Oregon State Treasury website​ and search their unclaimed property database. Otherwise, contact us.​

​If you filed a Change of Address with the U.S. Postal Service, they'll forward your check to your new address. You can also update your address on Revenue Online, call us, or send us a Change of Address/Name form so your check can be sent directly to your new address.​

​Yes. Direct deposit is available for all Oregon returns, paper or electronic. Please proofread your account information carefully because we can't change this information once you submit your return.
We don't notify taxpayers when a deposit is made, and we aren't responsible for overdraft fees or charges due.​

​Allow an additional 10 weeks beyond the standard refund processing time.​

​No. We don't notify you when the deposit has been made, so you'll have to monitor your bank account.
You should receive your direct deposit refund in seven to 10 days. If your return was selected for review, your direct deposit may be delayed.​

​First, we process the return and apply the refund to any outstanding account(s). Then we divide it and issue a check to you for your portion.​

​Write to request an apportionment within 30 days of the date of the notice telling you your refund was applied to your spouse's outstanding debt.​

​If you want your Oregon refund apportioned between spouses, you need to request it in writing. When your return is processed, we'll notify you of our intent to apply the joint refund to any debts owed to the state of Oregon. When you receive our notice, send us a request to divide the refund. You must respond within 30 days of the date on our notice. You can use federal form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation. We must have a copy of your federal return to process the apportionment.​

Contact us

Phone: 503-378-4988 or 800-356-4222

TTY: We accept all relay calls.

Fax: 503-945-8738