Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Amending your return

File an amended return to correct an error

If Intuit contacted you about an error in the TurboTax software that caused you to claim the standard Oregon state deduction when itemizing deductions could have saved you money, you will need to file an amended return to correct the error.​

You will need to complete the amended return in TurboTax and either:

  • Mail your return to the Oregon Department of Revenue, PO Box 14700, Salem OR 97309-0930.
  • Bring your printed amended return to one of the Department of Revenue offices​. (Drop boxes are available to accept documents after regular business hours at the department's offices, located in Salem, Bend, Eugene, Medford and Portland.)
  • Enter the information from the printed return into Direct File Oregon to electronically file your amended return free of charge.

You should make sure you follow these important steps that will allow more timely processing of your amended return.

  • Make sure the printed return you file is complete, including the federal form and all schedules (like Schedule OR-A).
  • Make sure you have checked the "Amended Return" box on the first page.
  • Use your current address, if it is different from the address your used when filing your original return.
  • Provide your direct deposit information for your refund, otherwise the department will mail a paper check.
  • Sign your amended return.

You have three years from the date your return was originally filed or from the due date of the return, whichever was later, to file an amended return.

How to amend a return with Direct File Oregon

You must meet the following conditions to file your amended return with Direct File Oregon for free:

  • You must have a Revenue Online account. If you do not have an account, you can sign up for one​.
  • Your original return must have been filed on a Form OR-40, full year resident return. Forms OR-40N and OR-40P for nonresidents and part-year residents are not supported for electronic filing on Revenue Online.
  • Your original return must have completed processing. If your return has not completed processing yet and you wish use Direct File, you must wait until your return has completed processing.

If you do not meet these conditions, please mail your amended return to the Department.

To file an amended return on Revenue Online

  1. Log into Revenue Online.
  2. From your Personal Income Tax account, click on “File or view returns."
  3. On the 31-Dec-2023 period, click on “View or Amend Return." If you do not see this hyperlink, you do not meet the qualifications to use Revenue Online to file an amended return at this time.
  4. Click on “Amend" at the top of the page.
  5. Review the instructions, click the toggle to indicate you agree to provide true, correct, and complete information, type out an explanation why you are amending, then click “Next."
  6. After filling out your contact and demographics information, the steps that follow will help you fill out your return. This includes providing a copy of your federal 1040. If you have questions on how to complete your return, please review the 2023 Form OR-40 Instruction booklet.
  7. When you get to the “Deduction" step, click on “Yes" to the question asking if you would like to itemize. Then fill out the Schedule OR-A.
  8. You may click “Save Draft" at any time to save your work and come back to it later.
  9. When you have completed your amended return, please submit the form on the final step. You will receive a confirmation number.

Things to keep in mind: 

  1. Make sure to have copies of your original return, Form 1040, and Forms W-2 and/or 1099 to complete your return.
  2. If you are only amending for the Oregon itemized deductions, on the “Instructions" step, you can add the following explanation: Amending 2023 tax return to include itemized deductions previously not allowed through Turbo Tax.
    1. If you are amending for additional issues, please also include a brief description of the other changes that are claimed on your amended return.
  3. On the “Federal Tax Subtraction" step, make sure to include this amount from your original return. This amount won't automatically populate for you.
  4. On the “Kicker" step, if you save your return to finish later or go to a prior step, you may need to re-enter your kicker amount when you return to this step.