The Oregon State Map Advisory Council (SMAC) was originally established in 1912 by Executive Order, with a goal of completing the mapping of Oregon. From the 1960s through the 1980s, the goal was to work with the U.S. Geological Survey to complete the 1:24,000 scale quadrangle map series. In 1983, the SMAC was reestablished by Executive Order No. EO-83-15 to coordinate mapping, land records management and geographic information activities. In 1989, the SMAC was asked to provide direction to the State Service Center for Geographic Information Systems created by Order EO-89-16. Appointed members of the SMAC were primarily from natural resources agencies.
was reorganized under Executive Order EO-94-16 and renamed the Oregon Geographic Information Council (OGIC) in September, 1994. OGIC had a broader scope, including public safety and human resource agencies.
The scope of OGIC's membership was revised again in February of 2000 to include local governments and Federal agencies. Under Executive Order No. EO-00-02 (pdf)
OGIC members are to be agency Directors, Deputy Directors, or policy level alternates. Furthermore, this new Executive Order establishes a relationship between the policies and guidelines of OGIC and the State's Enterprise Information Technology Strategy.
includes 21 state agencies, two federal representatives and four local government representatives.