Skip to the main content of the page

Traveling with Animals

International Travel

The United State Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS) has jurisdiction over the importation and exportation of animals into and out of the country.  

Entering the United States 

For animals coming internationally to Oregon, you first need to satisfy USDA requirements to enter the country. Our office cannot advise travelers on USDA paperwork, processes, or requirements. Please reach out to USDA directly by visting their pet tr​avel page​. Once USDA requirements are understood and met, please call ODA's Animal Health office be sure there are no additional requirements for entry into Oregon.  

Leaving the United States 

Please reach out to USDA APHIS directly concerning international animal travel.  


USDA Pet Travel Requirements

When travelling with your pet(s), there may be animal health requirements specific for that destination. As soon as you know your travel details, contact your local veterinarian to assist with the pet travel process. USDA pet travel requirements website


Animal Health
635 Capitol Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4680
Fax: 503-986-4734