Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Department of Human Services Search Site

Domestic Violence Services

Safety alert: Computers and phones can be monitored. Clear your browser history of content you don’t want someone else to see. It may be safer to use a computer at a local library, your work, a shelter or a trusted friend's house.

Do you need help right now?

If this an emergency:

Call 911 or your local law enforcement agency. 

If you need a domestic violence service provider or shelter: 

Visit the Call to Safety website or call 888-235-5333. You can also find shelter, advocacy or legal support on the Oregon Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence website.

Domestic violence is a pattern of behaviors used by one person to maintain power and control over another person. It can take many forms. This includes physical, sexual, emotional or economic abuse. Even if there is no physical violence, abuse can include threats, putting someone down or making them feel afraid. Abuse often gets worse over time. 

Services for survivorsLegal helpSafety planningMore resources

Services for survivors

Financial help

Cash assistance (TA-DVS)

Get help with moving costs and items to help with safety.

Crime Victims' Compensation Program

Get help with the financial impacts of a crime.

Get help in person

Find your local office

Many of our local offices have ODHS employees who are experts in helping survivors of domestic violence.

Community domestic violence advocates also work in some of our offices. They provide direct safety planning and support. Because they are not State of Oregon employees, they don't have to follow mandatory reporting laws and can provide confidential help.

Legal help

County Victim Assistance Programs (VAP)

These programs help you navigate the criminal justice system and understand your rights. They can also refer you to resources in your community that offer support.

Victim Information and Notification Everyday (VINE)

VINE can tell you if an offender is in the custody of the Oregon Department of Corrections, Oregon Youth Authority or a county jail. It can also give you other important custody and probation information and updates. VINE automatically calls a phone number you provide to let you know when that offender is released or has a change in parole or probation status.

Información en Español

Oregon Law Help

Oregon Law Help can help with legal protection from abuse, including domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking.

Learn how to file a restraining order.

Safety planning

Your local domestic violence program can help with safety planning and finding resources in your area. They are experts and know the most about local services.​

Computers and smartphones can be monitored. It is almost impossible to completely clear all traces of web sites you have visited. 

  • If you think your internet or computer might be monitored, use a safer computer at your local library, your workplace, a shelter or a trusted friend's house. 
  • You can ​also call your local hotline or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

Read more about internet safety​.

Survivors of domestic violence need to take extra precautions to protect themselves. Abusers may use identity theft as a means of power and control.

The Oregon Department of Justice has a free mail forwarding service for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking. You can get a substitute mailing address to use instead of your real address.

Direct intervention in domestic violence situations can be dangerous for everyone. Be sure to consider your own safety and the safety of the survivor before acting.

Call 9-1-1 or your local emergency number if someone is in immediate danger. 

Keep in mind that​ police involvement may cause more trauma to the survivor. Contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 for information on how to best support survivors.


Cash assistance (TA-DVS)National Domestic Violence HotlineNational Sexual Assault HotlineNational Human Trafficking HotlineReport abuse or neglect

Complaints about service providers

ODHS provi​des funding to domestic violence and sexual assault shelters and service providers. If you would like to file a formal complaint about one of these programs, use the form below or contact the Oregon Mediation ​Association.