Approved coursesAnnual requirementsCredit approval process
Approved training courses
To satisfy annual training requirements, courses must be approved for your provider type by the Adult Foster Home Training Credit Committee, except as noted below.
The following courses do not require prior approval:
- CPR / First Aid training from American Red Cross or American Heart Association
- Oregon Intervention System: General - Individual Focus - Crisis
- Bloodborne Pathogens training from OSHA
- Fire and Life Safety courses from Oregon State Fire Marshall, FEMA or American Red Cross
search box to find specific courses. You can also
filter by subject, format, location, provider types that courses are approved for, etc. Be sure to click "add filter" to apply one or more filters.
Annual training requirements
Adult Foster Home (AFH) providers and caregivers are required by Oregon Administrative Rules to complete continuing education requirements for annual licensing. The requirements depend on the type of provider and license.
View annual training requirements for:
Note: Only courses that have been approved by the AFH Training Credit Committee count toward required continuing education hours.
Credit approval process
The Adult Foster Home Training Credit Committee must review course information and authorize continuing education training credits that will be issued to AFH providers and caregivers, with exceptions noted below for
Requests may take up to one month to review.
How to submit requests
- Training instructors, sponsors of training events, agencies, ODHS staff and other entities can submit requests for training credit approval using the request form below.
- Delegated Organizations can use the same form to submit courses for web posting on this page. Don't submit requests directly to committee members or other ODHS staff.
Fill out form DHS 1510. Instructions are included in the form. Be sure to include all required materials.
Request Form (Microsoft Word)Request Form (PDF)
Submit by email, fax or U.S. mail.
Review and approval process
The AFH Training Credit Committee will review and consider all complete requests.
- Requests may take up to one month for review.
- Incomplete submissions won't be reviewed. We will let you know if your request can't be processed.
- Approved courses are valid for 12 months from the date of approval.
Note: Initial orientation and training that is required to become a licensed provider or caregiver will not be approved for annual training credits.
Trainings approved by the Delegated Organizations listed below don't require approval by the AFH Training Credit Committee if the training meets requirements under the relevant Oregon Administrative Rules and is presented to relevant provider types. To be posted on this web page, trainings approved by Delegated Organizations must be submitted to the AFH Training Credit Committee using the request form above.
- Adult Protective Services (APS)
- AFH licensors with authority over OHA or DHS Adult Foster Homes
- Community Developmental Disabilities Programs (CDDP)
- Community Mental Health Providers (CMHP)
- County Mental Health Residential Specialists
- ODHS AAA or AMH staff with management approval
- Oregon Care Partners
- Oregon Home Care Commission (OHCC)
- Oregon Long-Term Care Ombudsman
- Oregon Technical Assistance Corporation (OTAC)
- Safety, Oversight and Quality Unit (SOQ)