Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Department of Human Services Search Site

How to Report Abuse or Neglect

 Call 855-503-SAFE (7233)

Call to report abuse or neglect of a child or adult in Oregon. 

If someone is being hurt or is in danger right now, call 911.

Get information about...

How to recognize child abuse

It’s important to know the warning signs of abuse because children often can’t or won’t speak up if they are being abused. They rely on the people around them to recognize something isn't right. 

Warning signs include:

  • Physical signs on the child such as unexplained or unusual injuries
  • Things the child says or does such as running away from home, self-harm, or fear of their parent or caretaker
  • Things the ​​caretaker says or does such as ignoring the child's needs or isolating the child

For more information about recognizing child abuse, see What You Can Do About Child Abuse.

Any single concern may or may not mean a child is being abused. Consider what is typical for the child, their family, and their culture and community.

You should report any reasonable suspicion of abuse. You don’t have to prove it. 

To learn more:

Visit our Child Safety page to find support and prevention resources for families. 

How to report child abuse

Call 855-503-SAFE (7233) if you think a child is being abused or neglected. 

  • You will talk​ to a Child​ Welfa​re screener. 
  • Be ready to give information about the child such as their name, age and where they live (if you know). 
  • The screener will ask about your concerns, including anything the child has said.​​​ 
  • What you share will be kept private (confidential).
  • Read the Child ​Abuse Reporting Guide​ for more information about what to expect when you call. 

Other ways to report child abuse include calling a local police department, county sheriff, county juvenile department or the Oregon State Police.

Quick reference cards​​ for reporting child abuse​

Call 855-503-SAFE (7233) if you think an older person or vulnerable adult is being abused, neglected or being taken advantage of financially. 

This includes:

  • People age 65 and older.
  • People age 18 and older with physical or developmental disabilities or a mental health condition.

Learn more:

If you suspect a nursing facility resident was neglected or abused, please contact the Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) Nursing Facility Complaint Unit. Include as many details as possible.

Phone: 877-280-4555


Fax: 888-550-6788

Learn more:

About mandato​ry reporting​​

While everyone should report suspected abuse, some people in the community are required by law to make reports to authorities. These people are called mandatory reporters. Most mandatory reporters have jobs that involve regular interaction with children, ​families or vulnerable adults. Some examples are doctors, police, teachers, school employees, clergy members and ODHS employees.

Mandatory reporters who suspect abuse or neglect should call ​​855-503-SAFE (7233) to report this to ODHS. The hotline is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. 

Learn more about mandatory reporting: