Skip to main content Homepage

Become a Driver Training Instructor


To teach people how to drive a passenger vehicle (non-commercial) in Oregon, you need to:

  • Be at least 19 years old to teach in a classroom;
  • Be at least 21 to teach behind-the-wheel;
  • Be an employee of a school that holds a valid Driver Training School Certificate;
  • Have had valid driving privileges for at least three years before the application is submitted if only conducting classroom training;
  • Have had valid driving privileges for at least five years before the application is submitted if conducting behind-the-wheel instruction; and
  • Get a Commercial Driver Training Instructor Certificate from DMV.

To learn how to become a certified driver training school, visit our Driver Training School page.

Get Your Certificate

To get your Commercial Driver Training School Certificate, do the following:

  • Submit a completed application;
  • Pass the Commercial Driving School Instructor knowledge test and drive test;
  • Pass a vision test;
  • Pass a criminal background check; and
  • Pay the $100 application fee.

Submit the application, supporting materials, and payment by mail or in person to DMV Business Regulation.

Renew Your Certificate

Commercial Driver Training Instructor Certificates are issued annually and expire on December 31 of each year, no matter what date they were issued.

To renew your certificate, you must:

  • Submit a new application before the current certificate expires; and
  • Pay the $100 application/renewal fee.

There is NO GRACE PERIOD for renewing the instructor certificate. Any renewal application received after December 31 will be treated as an original instructor certificate application and is subject to the testing requirements.


​​​Contact Us

DMV Business Regulation Section
East Annex Building
1965 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Mailing Address:
Business Regulation
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Phone: 503-945-5052 Business Licensing
Phone: 503-945-5281 Dealer Investigations
DMV Business Regulation can accept cash, debit/credit cards, and checks in the exact amount of the transaction.

8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday, except for Thursdays 9 AM - 4:30 PM.​

DMV has moved the online DEALER NOTICES services to a new location. Go to​ to access all of DMV’s online services. 

If you have saved a link to the Dealer Notices location, please update the URL.
Dealer Related Links

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how