Skip to main content Homepage

Renewing a Commercial Driver License


When You Can Renew

  • Up to twelve months before or after your license expires.
  • Six months after military discharge.
  • Out of state? Call DMV at 503-945-5000.

You will have to apply for a new driver license, pay the original fee and take tests if your license has been expired for more than a year.

How to Renew

  • Make an appointment at a DMV office;
  • Provide proof of physical address and identity;
  • If you have a Hazardous Material Endorsement on your CDL, you must pay the testing fee, pass a HAZMAT Knowledge Test, and have passed a Transportation Safety Administration security background check within the past 5 years;
  • Certify the type of driving you do or will do and whether you meet federal requirements for driving a commercial motor vehicle;
  • Turn in your current Oregon CDL;
  • Pay the renewal fee; and
  • Get your picture taken.

After You Meet All the Requirements

  • You will get an interim card to use as proof of valid driving privileges.
  • The Post Office will not forward your driver license. You must use your current mailing address on the application.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how