Identity theft and identity fraud are crimes where someone wrongfully gets and uses another person's personal information using fraud or deception, typically for money.
What to Do
If you are a victim of identity theft, you should immediately:
- Contact local law enforcement to file a report;
- Contact your bank and any creditors to let them know that someone else is using your identity; and
- Report the situation online to the Federal Trade Commission or call 877-ID THEFT (877-438-4338).
How Oregon DMV Can Help
You may be eligible for a new driver license or ID card number if your name and number have been used fraudulently. To apply submit at least one of the following documents:
- A police report or a letter on police letterhead;
- A report or letter from a credit card company, credit reporting bureau or financial institution;
- A report or letter from the Oregon Department of Revenue or the Internal Revenue Service;
- A document issued by a Court; or
- A letter from a District Attorney.
You must include:
- A signed statement explaining what happened and why you need a new number; and
- Your contact information, including a daytime phone number.
Mail or Fax your request with sufficient proof that both your name and number has been used by another person to:
Driver Programs, DL/ID Issuance Policy
1905 Lana Avenue NE
Salem OR 97314
Or you may fax the request with proof to 503-945-5497 ATTN: DL/ID Issuance Policy Team.
DMV will review the information you send and send you a letter with the decision (see ORS 807.160, ORS 807.400, and OAR 735-062-0130).