ODVA is the State Approving Agency for the state of Oregon. The State Approving Agency (SAA) is responsible for the review, evaluation, approval, and oversight of schools and training facilities to ensure state and federal quality criteria are met for veterans using their G.I. Bill® funds.
ODVA's SAA works in conjunction with state and national partners to:
- Promote and safeguard quality education and training programs for veterans
- Ensure greater educational training opportunities to meet the changing needs of veterans
- Assist the VA in preventing fraud, waste, and abuse in the administration of the G.I. Bill®
ODVA's SAA is funded under contract from the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).
In addition to initial and continued program approvals, responsibilities of the SAA include:
- Conducting on-site compliance visits to educational institutions and training organizations with approved programs of study.
- Providing technical assistance with applications for approval.
- Providing information about training and education opportunities to veterans, military base personnel, employers, and labor groups.
- Serving as a liaison between Oregon veterans and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
The Approval Process
Initial Approval: Institutions wishing to enroll eligible G.I. Bill® beneficiaries must submit an application to ODVA's SAA for approval. The initial approval (also referred to as "Original" approval) process is the approval of one or more programs at a new or previously unapproved institution or facility.
The SAA evaluates and approves specific educational programs at the following for use of veterans' education and training benefits:
- Public and private colleges and universities
- Flight schools
- Apprenticeship sites
- On-the-job training (OJT) sites
- Non-degree programs at private trade schools and career colleges
Our goal is to ensure these programs meet minimum quality standards and comply with all federal and state laws and regulations.
For questions about approvals and/or assistance with the approval process, including the necessary forms, please send an email to ODVA_OregonSAA@odva.oregon.gov
Info for students
If your educational institution or program is not currently enrolling G.I. Bill® beneficiaries and would like to start the approval process, please contact the Oregon SAA via email or phone and we will furnish the necessary forms and instructions.