Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Licensing Exam Information

Required Licensing Examinations

NCEES Examinations Recognized by the Board

The examinations below are administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) and recognized by OSBEELS. You must schedule these examinations with NCEES. There are no requirements or preapprovals needed to take an examination. Once you have passed your examinations, you may then submit an application on MyOSBEELS for professional registration to the Board.

For the current schedule of NCEES FE, PE, and SE examinations, please see NCEES engineering and exam registration on the NCEES website.

For the current schedule of NCEES FS and PS examinations, please see the NCEES surveying exam registration on the NCEES website.
Exams accepted for Professional Engineering registration:
  • Acoustical
    (for applicants that passed the Acoustical Exam prior to October 2015)
  • Agricultural
    (Agricultural and Biological Engineering NCEES examination)
  • Building Systems
    (Architectural Engineering NCEES examination)
  • Chemical
  • Civil
  • Control Systems
  • Electrical
    (Electrical and Computer Engineering NCEES examination)
  • Environmental
  • Fire Protection
  • Industrial and Systems
  • Manufacturing
    (for applicants that passed the NCEES manufacturing examination between 1993–2005)
  • Mechanical
  • Metallurgical
    (Metallurgical and Materials Engineering NCEES examination)
  • Mining and Mineral Processing 
  • Naval Architecture and Marine
  • Nuclear
  • Petroleum 

For a list of qualifying exams for Structural Engineering registration, please see OAR 820-010-4000.

California Geotechnical Engineering 

The California Geotechnical Engineering examination is administered by the California Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists (BPELSG) and recognized by OSBEELS. You must schedule this examinations with BPELSG. See OAR 820-010-1010 for details. 

osbeels logo Oregon-Specific Examinations

The Oregon-Specific examinations below are administered by OSBEELS. You must schedule these examinations by 
submitting an Examination Application from your MyOSBEELS User Portal. Once you have passed your examinations, you may then submit an application for professional registration to the Board.

Oregon-Specific Examination Application Deadlines

Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on February 1 for April examinations.
Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on August 1 for October examinations.

Permitted Materials for Oregon-Specific Examinations

To be admitted into the examination room without delay, do not bring prohibited items to the examination site. If you
do bring prohibited items to the examination site, you will be asked to leave those items at your own risk in a non-secure
area designated by OSBEELS.

Syllabi for Oregon-Specific Examinations

Download: Certified Water Right Examiner Syllabus
Download: Oregon Specific Land Surveying Syllabus 
Download: PE - Forest Syllabus

Accomodation Requests for Oregon-Specific Examinations

CWRE Examination

The CWRE Examination is administered once a year, in April. To apply, you must be a registered PE, PLS, RG, or a Qualifying District Employee. Status as a Qualifying District Employee will be verified by the Oregon Water Resources Department. For additional information, please contact

Fee Reimbursement for Veterans

If you are a veteran and have taken or are preparing to take any examination offered by OSBEELS, you may qualify to have your examination(s) reimbursed by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. For information on eligibility and reimbursement, please review the information on page 2 of the Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees from the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you are ready to apply for reimbursement, you will need to fill out VBA Form 22-0803 and a copy of your Examiner's Certificate from OSBEELS. You can also contact the Department of Veterans Affairs for assistance in applying for these benefits.

Download: VBA Form 22-0803