Skip to main content Homepage

Boater Education Cards

All boaters who operate a motorboat over 10 horsepower (hp) and youths 12-15 operating a motorboat of any size are required to take an approved boating safety course and apply/carry a boater education card. 

  • Youth must be 12 or older to get a boater education card. Youth ages 11 and under cannot operate a motorboat.
  • Youth 12-15 can operate a boat of 10 hp or less without an adult.
  • Youth 12-15 may operate a boat of more than 10 hp if accompanied by an adult 16 or older (18 or older for personal watercraft) who has a boater education card.
  • A person 16 or older will need a boater education card to operate a powerboat (including a PWC) greater than 10 hp. 
Have questions? Check our Frequently Asked Questions below!
Oregon Boater Education Card

To comply with the Mandatory Education Requirement, boaters have the following course options:

Classroom ​Courses: Boating safety classroom courses are offered by several different organizations, including the Marine Board, U.S. Power Squadrons and U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, Community Colleges and local County Sheriff’s Offices. Click here to see a list of current classes.

Internet Courses: Anyone with access to the Internet can take an approved online course. These courses generally require a username and password.  Internet courses include chapter quizzes and other learning tools to help students absorb the content. Click here to see which course is right for you.

Equivalency Exam: This proctored exam is designed for the experienced boater who knows the rules and regulations for safe boating in Oregon waters. Not only does the experienced boater need to know about power boating, but will need basic knowledge about personal watercraft and sailboats. It is recommended that even experienced boaters request the publication, "Boat Oregon- Classroom Course Manual" and study it before scheduling an appointment to take the exam. Click here for more information on testing and times.
Other Course Options: Continuing education courses are offered by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary and the US Power Squadrons .  

You can apply online for a Boater Education Card through our Online Store, or download an application​ to print and mail in with a check or money order for $10. 

If you've recently completed an online course and ordered your card through the course provider page for an additional fee, you do not need to complete a separate application for the Marine Board.

There are a few exemptions for the boater education card. Age is not an exemption. 

  • Out-of-state and foreign visitors: If they will be boating in Oregon for less than 60 days or hold a boater education card from another state.
  • Boaters with a current Coast Guard Boat Operator License: Boaters such as guides and barge operators who hold a current Coast Guard Boat Operator License are exempt from the requirement.
  • Commercial Fisherman: Boaters who hold a current commercial fishing license do not have to carry a boater education card when operating recreationally but do need to carry their commercial license or documentation. (ORS 830.092(2))
  • Non-certified, supervised adults: The law allows a non-certified adult to operate a power boat IF under direct supervision of an adult 16 or older who is carrying a boater education card. If operating a PWC, the card holding adult must be 18 or older.
  • Boat Buyers: Buyers with a temporary certificate of number are exempt, for up to 60 days.
  • Boat Renters: Renters will be exempt, but must complete a watercraft rental safety checklist.
Lost, stolen, or damaged cards can be replaced online using our online store.  Pay online today and print a temporary card so you can get back out on the water right away!

If you prefer to replace your card through the mail, please fill out our request form to have an application and temporary card emailed to you.

The fee for a replacement boater education card is $8.

If you have any issues locating your account information, please call 503-378-2635 or request assistance online. ​

No problem! Call the Marine Board at 503-378-8587 and ask for the Education Section. We can look up your account and help you either apply for a new card, locate your account and help you order a replacement, or help you find an education option that's right for you.​

​No. If you will be boating in Oregon for fewer than 60 days, you do not need a boater education card. If you are here longer than 60 days, you either need to obtain an Oregon Boater Education Card, or hold a card from any state that issues cards for NASBLA-approved courses. 

Yes, you do. There is no upper age limit to education. ​

Generally, no. Boat renters are exempt from completing a boater education course prior to rending, but must complete a watercraft rental safety checklist prior to departure. 

Check with the rental company before your trip to see if there are any other local requirements.

If you are unable to locate your Certificate of Completion, contact the course/test provider and request a copy of your Certificate of Completion or Proof of Course Completion. The toll-free contact numbers for the online course providers are:

  • Boat-Ed - 1-800-830-2268
  • Boater Exam - 1-866-764-2628
  • Boat US Foundation -  1-800-245-2628
If you took a classroom course, please call the Marine Board at 503-378-8587 and we can help locate your records if they are on file.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how