Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Boating Education Cards

If you are new to paddling (nonmotorized boats include but are not limited to: kayaks, canoes, drift boats, row boats, stand up paddleboards, inflatable rafts, or hydrofoils), please see the education section on our Go Paddling page. Education is HIGHLY recommended, but not required at this time. 

Here's who needs to take a boating safety course and carry a Boating Safety Education Card:

  • All boaters who operate a motorboat with over 10 horsepower (hp) and youths:
  • Must be 12 or older to get a boating education card.
  • Youth ages 11 and under are not allowed to operate a motorboat.
  • Youths 12-15 years old operating a motorboat of any size.
    • They can operate a boat of more than 10 hp if accompanied by a person 16 or older (18 or older for personal watercraft) who has a boating education card.
    • They can operate a boat of 10 hp or less without an adult. 
A person 16 or older will need a boating education card to operate a powerboat (including a PWC) greater than 10 hp.

Have questions? We've got answers! 
Oregon Boater Education Card


To comply with the Mandatory Education Requirement, boaters have the following course options:​

Internet Courses: Anyone with access to the Internet can take an approved online course. These courses generally require a username and password.  Internet courses include chapter quizzes and other learning tools to help students absorb the content. Click here to see which course is right for you.

Equivalency Exam:  ​You can also see if your local county Sheriff's Office offers equivalency examsPre-registration is required. Often officers are on patrol in the field, so please leave your name and contact phone number and your call will be returned to register for an equivalency exam. 

Classroom Courses:Please check out our current course listing. If there's not a course listed in your area, please contact MariAnn McKenzie, Boating Safety Education Coordinator at or call 503-378-5158​.

Virtual Courses: The Boat Oregon Virtual Classroom Course is available. The classes will be held once a month, however, if needed another class will be scheduled. ​A final exam of 60 questions will be given at the end of the class. Please check back frequently for new class listings. The next virtual class is July 13 , from 9 am to 4 pm.

Sign Up!​​​​​​​
​​​Once you have completed the class and have passed the final exam, you will be able to obtain your Boating Safety Education Card.

If you would like to participate, here are the things you need to know:

  1. 20 students or less; reservations based on first come, first served.
  2. Must be able to log into Go-to-Meeting (by phone or computer)
  3. Must have the capability of having a camera on at all times (either by phone or computer) during the course and test.
    1. If you have a family wanting to take the course, each person will need to register separately, and
    2. Each registered person will need to be on a separate phone or computer in order to take the course and test.
  4. Must be present for all sessions.
  5. Must take the final exam right after instruction.

Please contact Tiney Singler at​ or at 541.301.8007 to register for the class.

​Other Course Options: Continuing education courses are offered by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary and the US Power Squadrons.  

No problem! Call the Marine Board at 503-378-5158. We can look up your account and help you either apply for a new card, locate your account and help you order a replacement, or help you find an education option that's right for you.​

You can apply online for a Boater Education Card through our Online Store, or download an application to print and mail in with a check or money order for $20. 

If you've recently completed an online course and ordered your card through the course provider page for an additional fee, you do not need to complete a separate application for the Marine Board.

Lost, stolen, or damaged cards can be replaced online using our online store.  Pay online today and print a temporary card so you can get back out on the water right away!

If you prefer to replace your card through the mail, please fill out our request form to have an application and temporary card emailed to you.

The fee for a replacement boater education card is $16.

If you have any issues locating your account information, please call 503-378-5158 or request assistance online. ​

Yes. You will need to either obtain an Oregon Boater Education Card, or have a card from any state that issues cards for NASBLA-approved courses. Check here to see if your card is approved:

Generally, no. Boat renters are exempt from completing a boater education course prior to renting, but must complete a watercraft rental safety checklist prior to departure. 

Check with the rental company before your trip to see if there are any other local requirements.

Yes, you do. There is no upper age limit to education. ​

If you are unable to locate your Certificate of Completion, contact the course/test provider and request a copy of your Certificate of Completion or Proof of Course Completion. The toll-free contact numbers for the online course providers are:

  • Boat-Ed / iLearn to Boat- 1-800-830-2268
  • Boater Exam - 1-866-764-2628
  • Boat US Foundation -  1-800-245-2628
If you took a classroom course, please call the Marine Board at 503-378-5158 and we can help locate your records if they are on file.

There are a few exemptions for the boater education card. Age is not an exemption. 

  • Boaters with a current Coast Guard Boat Operator License: Boaters such as guides and barge operators who hold a current Coast Guard Boat Operator License are exempt from the requirement.
  • Commercial Fisherman: Boaters who hold a current commercial fishing license do not have to carry a boater education card when operating recreationally but do need to carry their commercial license or documentation. (ORS 830.092(2))
  • Non-certified, supervised adults: The law allows a non-certified adult to operate a power boat IF under direct supervision of an adult 16 or older who is carrying a boater education card. If operating a PWC, the card holding adult must be 18 or older.
  • Boat Renters: Renters will be exempt, but must complete a watercraft rental safety checklist.

​You can update your name change in our online store.  Have proof of the name change (examples of accepted documentation: driver’s license, marriage license with name change, divorce decree), pay online and a replacement card will be sent to you with your name change.

If you prefer to change your name through the mail, please fill out our request form to have an application and temporary card emailed to you.

The fee for a replacement boating education card is $16.

If you have any issues locating your account information, please call 503-378-5158 or request assistance online.