An official website of the State of Oregon
How you know »
(how to identify a Oregon.gov website)
An official website of the State of Oregon »
You are here:
The Policy of the Marine Board
(1) It is the policy of the State Marine Board to promote many uses and enjoyment of the waters of the state for a variety of boating activities. The Board recognizes and will uphold to the extent practicable the universal right of the public to navigate and use the waters of the state for boating.
(2) The Board has the authority to regulate through administrative rules, boating in specific locations or on specific waterways in the interest of protecting public safety, property, water quality, fish and wildlife resources or to reducing excessive congestion and conflict between users.
(3) The Board will seek to resolve problems arising from or between boating activities on a waterway by using a variety of management measures including education, information, signing, voluntary restrictions, or increased law enforcement of existing laws before acting to restrict public use and enjoyment of boats.
(4) It is the policy of the Board to exercise its regulatory authority based upon enough information, public testimony or evidence that establishes a demonstrated need to enact administrative rules.
(5) The Board will seek the concurrence and recommendations of affected local jurisdictions and authorities before adopting regulations for local waterways. Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 830.110Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 830.175
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.
A lock icon ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website.
Only share sensitive information on official, secure websites.
Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how