Oregon Pharmacists Prescribing of Contraceptive Therapy
During the 2015 Legislative Session, House Bill (HB) 2879 passed into law and was signed by Oregon Governor Kate Brown on July 6, 2015. The law was intended to develop standard procedures for the prescribing of hormonal contraceptive patches and oral contraceptives by an Oregon licensed pharmacist, providing timely access to care. To ensure public safety and provide a consistent level of care, a pharmacist may participate upon completion of a Board approved training program.
In December 2022, the Board adopted new rules that move Contraception prescribing from the processes found in OAR 855-019 to the Public Health and Pharmacy Formulary Advisory Committee processes found in OAR 855-020.
Laws & Rules
- ORS 689.645, ORS 689.649, ORS 689.689
- OAR 855-020
- Per OAR 855-019-0415(2) A pharmacist must submit a copy of the certificate of completion of training to the Board within 15 days of completion. Pharmacists should upload their completion certificates using eGov where licensees maintain their own record and upload documents directly into their profile.
- Visit mylicense/eGov to register for a new personal account, or if you are a returning user, use your previously created credentials to access your account.
- Once you are logged into your account, click on “Update License Info” in the menu and then navigate to “Attach Documents” into the selected license account.
- Step by step instructions to create a new eGov account
- Board approved Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) accredited educational training program(s):
- Oregon State University: Oregon Comprehensive Contraceptive Education for the Prescribing Pharmacist
- UAN: 0036-0000-22-303-H01-P
- Activity Type: Application
- Activity Release Date: 01/01/2022
- Activity Expiration Date: 01/01/2025
- Rite Aid: If employed by Rite Aid, please contact your supervisor to receive access to its employee only “Hormonal Contraception: Pharmacist Management and Prescribing” program
- Universal Activity # (UAN): Cloud: 0704-0000-22-025-H01-P/Store: 0704-0000-22-026-H01-P
- Activity Type: Knowledge-based
- Activity Release Date: Pending
- Activity Expiration Date: 06/20/2025