DEQ assigns all manufacturers a recycling obligation by May 1 each year. This obligation, or return share and return share by weight, is the percentage and weight, respectively, of computers, monitors, TVs and printers that a manufacturer is responsible for recycling through a recycling program.
For more information on how DEQ determines recycling obligations:
Manufacturers must participate in a DEQ-approved recycling program. Manufacturers are required to declare which recycling program they will participate in for the following calendar year at the time of registration. Each recycling program must:
- Establish a collection site in every city with a population of 10,000 or greater.
- Provide a collection service in every county.
- Provide FREE recycling for all brands of computers, monitors and TVs to anyone bringing seven or fewer items to a participating collection site.
- Operate throughout the year.
- Meet or exceed DEQ Environmental Management Practices and Collection System Standards.
- Cover their recycling program costs.
There are three types of recycling programs a manufacturer may participate in:
State contractor program
All manufacturers are participants in the state contractor program unless they choose to participate in and meet the qualifications for an individual or group manufacturer program.
A manufacturers with a minimum of five percent return share may implement a program under a plan approved by DEQ. The plan must identify a representative for the recycling program.
Group manufacturer program
A group of manufacturers may implement a manufacturer program as one entity if the sum of their return shares is at least five percent. The group implements a program under a plan approved by DEQ.
Manufacturers choosing to implement a recycling program (Individual or Group) must submit a plan proposal to DEQ by July 1 of each year. Plans should be developed based on a calendar year, submitted and approved annually. Recycling Programs must be fully operational on January 1 of each year.
Guide for Manufacturer Recycling Plans