Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Getting an Instruction Permit - Under 18

This page provides information on obtaining an Oregon Provisional Instruction Permit.

Use the links below to go directly to any section:

General Information

DMV issues a provisional Class C instruction permit to drivers 15 - 17 years of age.

A provisional instruction permit allows operation of the same vehicles as a non-commercial Class C driver license. Provisional drivers are subject to the Provisional Driver Improvement Program, which is designed to have an immediate impact on young drivers who are convicted of traffic offenses or involved in preventable accidents. Provisional instruction permit holders are also subject to driving restrictions.

If you have questions about provisional instruction permits or driver licenses, you may find answers on the Frequently Asked Questions for Teens page.

Driving Restrictions

A provisional instruction permit allows you to operate a vehicle only if you are accompanied by a person who:

  • Has a valid driver license;
  • Is at least 21 years of age; and
  • Is sitting beside you.

The supervising driver must have had their license for at least three years for the driving practice to count toward the 50 or 100 hour requirement to get a provisional driver license.

You cannot operate a motor vehicle while using a mobile communication device, including talking on a cell phone and texting. Hands-free accessories are not allowed.

How to Apply

After you meet the requirements, you are issued an interim card to use until you receive your license in the mail.


A provisional instruction permit is valid for twenty-four months from the date it is issued.

DMV does not send you a notice when your permit is about to expire.

If your instruction permit is expired or about to expire, you may apply for another permit. The new permit is valid for twenty-four months from the date it is issued.

To apply for another instruction permit, you must surrender your instruction permit and follow the instructions in the section: How to Apply. You are not required to take the knowledge test unless your permit is expired for one year or more.

Driving in Another State

If you want to drive in another state with your permit, you should check to see if your Oregon provisional instruction permit allows you to drive in that state, and under what conditions it is allowed. A good source for information about other states laws is the AAA Digest of Motor Laws. For information on how to get a copy you may contact AAA at (800) 452-1643.

Oregon Parent Guide to Teen Driving

The Oregon Department of Transportation provides The Oregon Parent Guide to Teen Driving (Form 735-7190) in English only. It contains information to support the important partnerships between state driver licensing, driver education, teen drivers and their parents.

Related Information

Additional information that may be relevant includes: