Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) is
using available funds to improve safety at the intersection of Oregon
Highway 224 and Southeast 135th Avenue. Project design is completed
and construction is planned to begin in early 2015.
The project includes:
- Replacing traffic light poles and adding left turn signals for the movements from Southeast 135th Avenue onto OR 224.
- Replacing the traffic light sensors in the roadway.
- Constructing a new bus pullout on eastbound OR 224, east of the intersection.
- Constructing a new sidewalk along the south side of OR 224 and adding sidewalk (ADA) ramps on the corners.
- Removing the hedge on the outside of the soundwall along OR 224.
- Adding street lighting on OR 224.
- Adding a water quality biofiltration swale in the southeast corner of the intersection to capture polluted water that runs off the road and treat it naturally.
Project area map
Click below for a downloadable image:
OR 224 at SE 135th Improvements (PDF, 10.6MB)
Why is this project
intersection has a history of crashes. Within a five year period from January
2008 to September 2013 there were 103 crashes and 1 fatality at this
intersection. Most were rear-end crashes
that resulted in injuries and property damage.
the traffic light/signal and the detectors will give drivers enough time to
safely turn onto and off of OR 224. Moving the TriMet bus stop to the east of
the intersection will reduce conflicts with drivers, buses, and
- Design complete: August 2014
- Construction begins: Spring 2015 (the majority of the construction activities are expected during summer 2015)
The schedule is subject to change due to weather and site conditions.
What are the construction impacts?
Details about how construction will affect traffic are being finalized now. Lane closures and traffic stops lasting up to 20 minutes for signal pole installation are expected during weekends and weekday evenings.
Continue to check back here for details or send us an email to be added to the mailing list (email subject line: OR 224 at SE 135th).
Questions or comments?
Please contact Brandy Steffen, ODOT Community Affairs Coordinator if you have questions or comments about this project: