Pedestrians and Bus Riders: TriMet
bus stop #30 and #156 are located within the project limits. Go to TriMet.org to
see schedule or bus stop location changes or call 503-238-7433.
For noise issues, call the 24‐hour noise hotline at
Other construction impacts planned for this project include the following:
- Daytime lane and shoulder closures are planned outside of the rush hours (morning and evening commute times).
- Flaggers will direct drivers and there may be intermittent delays.
- Signal pole installation is expected during weekends and weekday evenings.
Why is ODOT doing this project?
Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) is
using available funds to improve safety at the intersection of Oregon
Highway 224 and SE 135th Avenue. Project design is completed
and construction is planned to take place between early February and late May 2015.
The project includes:
- Replacing traffic light poles and adding left turn signals for the movements from Southeast 135th Avenue onto OR 224.
- Replacing the traffic light sensors in the roadway.
- Constructing a new bus pullout on eastbound OR 224, east of the intersection.
- Constructing a new sidewalk along the south side of OR 224 and adding sidewalk (ADA) ramps on the corners.
- Removing the hedge on the outside of the soundwall along OR 224.
- Adding street lighting on OR 224.
- Adding a water quality biofiltration swale in the southeast corner of the intersection to capture polluted water that runs off the road and treat it naturally.
Project area map
Click below for a downloadable image:
OR 224 at SE 135th Improvements (PDF, 10.6MB)
What are the benefits of this project?
intersection has a history of crashes. Within a five year period from January
2008 to September 2013 there were 103 crashes and 1 fatality at this
intersection. Most were rear-end crashes
that resulted in injuries and property damage.
the traffic light/signal and the detectors will give drivers enough time to
safely turn onto and off of OR 224. Moving the TriMet bus stop to the east of
the intersection will reduce conflicts with drivers, buses, and
What is the project schedule?
- Design complete: August 2014
- Construction begins: early February 2015
- Construction ends: late May 2015
The schedule is subject to change due to conditions at the site, weather, traffic impacts, contractor schedules and availability of materials.
How can I get more information?
If you have questions or comments during regular business hours, please contact Brandy Steffen, ODOT Community Affairs Coordinator at 503-731-8230 or Brandy.Steffen@odot.state.or.us.
For noise concerns related to construction, please call the 24-hour noise hotline at 503‐412‐2396.
¿Habla ustéd español?
¿Hablas español? Podemos proporcionar la información de esta publicación en español. Para recibir información por favor llame al (503) 731-4128.
For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) or Civil Rights Title VI accommodations, translation/interpretation services, or more information call 503-731-4128, TTY (800) 735-2900 or Oregon Relay Service 7-1-1.