Updated: November 2016
Interstate 84 Troutdale Interchange Project
This project is complete.
All vehicles heading to Marine Drive from the Interstate 84 eastbound Exit 17, can turn left onto Marine Drive. Vehicles will no longer have to travel on both the South and North Frontage Roads to reach Marine Drive. This will reduce travel time and congestion on the Frontage Roads. This permanent change is the most noticeable benefit of this interchange project.
In addition several other lane changes have happened.
· A new left turn lane and signal from Marine Drive to the I-84 westbound on-ramp was added. The change includes new westbound lanes on Marine Drive under I-84.
· A new left turn from the North Frontage Road to southbound Marine Drive is also open.
· Motorists turning right from the North Frontage Road to Marine Drive must yield to oncoming traffic due to changes in the right lane.
• The project widened Marine Drive between the two frontage roads to allow for two-way traffic. Vehicles exiting Interstate 84 eastbound can turn directly on to northbound Marine Drive instead of traveling all the way around on the Frontage Roads.
• Replaced the existing I-84 overpass bridges at Marine Drive with a new bridge. It is longer to accommodate the widening of Marine Drive to five lanes and sidewalks and higher to accommodate vehicles up to 17 feet, 4 inches high.
• The two Marine Drive intersections at the Frontage Roads will also be improved. The existing free-flow right turn lane from the North Frontage Road onto Marine Drive will be moved closer to the intersection to increase drivers’ visibility as they first yield and then merge with the new northbound traffic on Marine Drive. Drivers on the North Frontage Road also have more space to merge into their desired lane.
• Provided a longer left turn lane on North Frontage Road for vehicles turning south onto Marine Drive.
• Added bike lanes in both directions of Marine Drive under I-84.
• Added a new sidewalk on the west side of Marine Drive under -84.