This project is currently in the final design phase. Construction is scheduled to begin in spring 2014.
Upcoming Public Outreach Events
Come learn more about this project and talk with project staff at the following local events:
Troutdale First Friday Art Walk
Friday, August 2, 2013
Mayor's Square on the Historic Columbia River Highway
Troutdale Open Air Market
Saturday, August 24, 2013
10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Railroad Depot Museum
551 E. Historical Columbia River Highway
The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) has made several improvements to the interchange at exit 17 (NE 257th Avenue and Marine Drive) on Interstate 84 in Troutdale over the last few years—the most recent of which was completed in 2011.
Another improvement project at this freeway interchange is currently being designed, this time focusing on the Marine Drive section. This project will:
- Widen Marine Drive between the two frontage roads to five lanesto allow for two-way traffic. With this change, vehicles exiting I-84 eastbound will be able to turn left directly on to Marine Drive instead of travelling all the way around on the frontage roads to get to Marine Drive.
- Remove the existing I-84 overpass bridges at Marine Drive and replace them with a new bridge that is longer to accommodate the widening of Marine Drive and taller to allow for the passage of vehicles up to 17 feet, 4 inches tall.
- The intersection of Marine Drive and the north Frontage Road will also be changed to accommodate the new two-way traffic configuration. The existing free-flow right turn lane from the north Frontage Road onto Marine Drive northbound will be moved to the signalized intersection to increase drivers’ visibility as they first yield and then merge with the new northbound traffic on Marine Drive
- Provide a dedicated left turn lane on the north Frontage Road for vehicles turning south onto Marine Drive
- Add a marked bike lane and sidewalk to the west side of Marine Drive under I-84
NE Marine Drive Overpass - Existing & Proposed (Conceptual)
Click images to enlarge
Why does the free-flow right turn lane from the north Frontage Road onto Marine Drive have to be removed?
This project will widen Marine Drive under I-84 to allow vehicles to travel in both directions. This means motorists exiting I-84 eastbound at exit 17 will be able to turn left onto Marine Drive from the end of the exit ramp, instead of looping around on the frontage roads. As a result, motorists turning right from the north Frontage Road onto Marine Drive will have to watch out for, and yield to, oncoming vehicles before they can make their turn, which they don’t currently have to do.
Keeping the free-flow right turn lane would make it more difficult for motorists to merge safely with the new traffic on Marine Drive northbound coming from the I-84 eastbound off-ramp, especially because they’re not used to doing it. To help improve safety and operations, the right turn lane will be moved closer to the signalized intersection and motorists will be required to yield to oncoming traffic on Marine Drive before making their turn.