In 2007, The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) approved coverage for the provision of peers support services and directed that the State would define the training and certification requirements. AMH with the support of consumer/survivors/providers and peer support specialist/recovery mentors decided to approve PDS training programs.
Training and Certification as a Peer Support Specialist is a two part process:
- Attend an Approved Peer Support Training Session; and
- Submit a certification application available through the Traditional Health Workers Commission
- Pass a Criminal Background Check
Peer Support Specialist are defined as Traditional Health Care workers per OAR 410-180
Peer Support Specialist Programs
Welcome to the list of Peer Support Specialists Training Programs approved by the Oregon Health Authority. This page includes an alphabetical listing of all the programs. Browse, search or contact a program by using the controls provided at Approved Programs.
Some programs were approved and have changed the name they are now offering the training under. If you have questions, please contact Shawn Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-945-9720.
Approved Peer Support Training Sessions
- Each One Teach One Certified Recovery Mentors
- Family-to-Family Teacher Training. June 20-22, 2014. Tualatin, OR.
- Family-to-Family Teacher Training. October 10-12, 2014. Tualatin, OR.
- Mental Health First Aid - Offered monthly in Clackamas County.
- Peer Support Specialist Training - May 15, 2014, Medford, OR. Registration Form
- Intentional Peer Support Training - July 17-11, 2014, Portland, OR
Approved On-line Training for Community Health Workers and Personal Health Navigator
Institute for Professional Care Education Launches Newly Approved Patient Health Navigator and Community Health Worker Training Programs
Certification and Credentialing Organizations
For a Peer Support Specialist/Recovery Mentor Certification applications, visit the Office of Equity and Inclusion (OEI) Traditional Health Worker (THW) website: http://www.oregon.gov/oha/oei/Pages/Traditional-Health-Worker-Commission.aspx