ORS 442.200 to 442.205
442.200 Definitions for ORS 442.205. As used in this section and ORS 442.205:
(1) “Charity care” means free or discounted health services provided to persons who cannot afford to pay and from whom a hospital has no expectation of payment. “Charity care” does not include bad debt, contractual allowances or discounts for quick payment.
(2) “Community benefit” means a program or activity that provides treatment or promotes health and healing in response to an identified community need. “Community benefit” includes:
(a) Charity care;
(b) Losses related to Medicaid, Medicare, State Children’s Health Insurance Program or other publicly funded health care program shortfalls;
(c) Community health improvement services;
(e) Financial and in-kind contributions to the community; and
(f) Community building activities affecting health in the community. [2007 c.384 §2]
Note: 442.200 and 442.205 were added to and made a part of ORS chapter 442 by legislative action but were not added to any smaller series therein. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
442.205 Community benefit reporting; rules. (1) The Oregon Health Authority shall by rule adopt a cost-based community benefit reporting system for hospitals operating in Oregon that is consistent with established national standards for hospital reporting of community benefits.
(2) Within 90 days of filing a Medicare cost report, a hospital must submit a community benefit report to the authority of the community benefits provided by the hospital, on a form prescribed by the authority.
(3) The authority shall produce an annual report of the information provided under subsections (1) and (2) of this section. The report shall be submitted to the Governor, the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives. The report shall be presented to the Legislative Assembly during each odd-numbered year regular session and shall be made available to the public.
(4) The administrator authority may adopt all rules necessary to carry out the provisions of this section. [2007 c.384 §3; 2011 c.545 §56]
Note: See note under 442.200.