Training for Provider Agencies or Branches regulated by DHS or OHA
The administrative rules require that most staff and provider contacts who process background check information must successfully complete training to become a Qualified Entity Designee (QED). The training materials are available by contacting the BCU training coordinator at (503) 378-5470 or toll-free at (888) 272-5545. You may also e-mail email@example.com and indicate that you would like the current training materials.
In order to stay up to date on QED requirements and rule changes, eSubscribe to the Background Check website.
Materials for Clearinghouse Agencies
Effective 1/5/2016. The Clearinghouse has moved from the Oregon State Police to the BCU. Clearinghouse agencies must have at least one Clearinghouse Authorized Designee.
Other Tools and resources
- The Background Check Unit now runs all background checks through the Criminal Records Information Management Systems (CRIMS)
- NEW!! Definitions of crimes in Oregon are located in the Oregon Revised Statutes. As of 9/27/2019, there ARE NOW 5-year, 10-year, and permanent review conviction lists; all convictions are considered potentially disqualifying according to when they occurred in relation to the date the background check was submitted to BCU. Here are flyers of the potentially disqualifying convictions or conditions(PDQ):
- NEW!! If a subject individual has one or PDQs, BCU staff must conduct a weighing test. See this flyer to understand what BCU considers. This weighing test flyercan help you plan materials to provide BCU in a background check request. Any details and additional documents you provide for the weighing test help BCU make an informed fitness determination.
- ORS 443.004 Impacts paid positions under the Department of Human Services, Aging and People with Disabilities programs and Developmental Disabilities programs, and the Oregon Health Authority, Addictions and Mental Health Division.
- NEW!! In collaboration with Child Welfare Licensing, the Office of Continuous Improvement and child caring agency stakeholders, BCU is presenting these Frequently Asked Questions for child caring agencies. This documents provides child caring agencies answers to many questions which are specific to their background check processes.
- Oregon State Archives Division Records Retention Schedule (Revised 03/2011) for background check documents.