Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Accident Reporting and Responsibilities

Within 72 Hours of a motor vehicle crash, you are required to submit an Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report with DMV.  The report must contain the following:
  • Your name, date of birth, driver license number, and mailing address;
  • Information about the vehicle you were operating when the crash occurred, including vehicle license plate number, State where the vehicle is registered, vehicle identification number, year, make and model; and
  • Insurance company name (not agent) and insurance policy number. 
Filing a report without vehicle information and insurance information may result in DMV issuing a suspension of driving privileges notice.  

You must submit a report of a motor vehicle accident to DMV when:
  • Damage to any vehicle is over $2,500 (even if your vehicle was the only one in the crash);
  • Damages to any vehicle is over $2,500 and any vehicle is towed from the scene;
  • Injury or death resulted from this accident; or
  • Damages to anyone’s property other than a vehicle involved in this accident is more than $2,500.

If you do not file a report when required, Oregon law requires DMV to issue a suspension notice.

If you were in an accident and the damages were less than $2,500, you can report to DMV if the other party doesn't have insurance. Be sure to clearly note on the accident report that it doesn't meet mandatory reporting criteria.

Note:  An Oregon Police Traffic Accident Report filed with DMV does not exempt you from the requirement to complete and submit an Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report.   Regardless of a police officer’s reporting, you are required, as outlined in ORS 811.720 and 811.725, to complete and submit the Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report to DMV. The report must be completed using the form designated by DMV which is the Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report.

How do I obtain an Accident and Insurance Report Form?  

  • Download the Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report to your electronic device (Note: Downloading enables the ability to submit by email); or 
  • Access the form using the above link and print it; or
  • Call DMV Customer Assistance at 503-945-5000 (Statewide Relay TTY 711)​ and request DMV send (mail/fax/email) you the accident report; or
  • Pick up a paper form from a DMV field office or your local law enforcement department.
The best way to submit a report to DMV is by email to:​. To email a report, you must first download the report form to your electronic device and SAVE the form to your files. Saving the form to your device enables fillable field options and results in you having a saved version of the form for submitting to DMV.  

How to download. 
  1. OPEN Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report (735-32)
  2. Once opened, SAVE the form to your device files. 
  3. Once you have saved the form to your device NAME the file and close it. Be sure to SAVE the file just prior to closing. 
  4. CLOSE the browser form (the form you opened with the link)
  5. OPEN the file saved to your device. From here, you simply complete the form and once completed, SAVE again before closing. 
  6. Once completed, saved, and closed, take steps to email the report to DMV. 
How do I submit an accident report to DMV? 

Once the report is completed, submit it to DMV using one of the following methods:​
  • Email to 
    • DMV will send an auto-reply confirming that your email was received.
    • Save your sent email (with the report) and the auto-reply received from DMV.
    • Please do not mail or fax reports already sent by email.
  • Fax to DMV Crash Reporting Unit at 503-945-5267
  • Regular mail to DMV Crash Reporting Unit at 1905 Lana Ave NE, Salem, OR 97314 
When submitting a report by email or fax, please do not also mail or drop a copy of the report off at a DMV field office. Submitting duplicate reports creates duplicate accident records. 

Additional Important Information: 
Under Oregon law ORS 802.220(5), DMV cannot give you a copy of your report. Please make a copy for your records.
Important Information: 
DMV sends suspension notices and other important documents to your address on record with DMV. The postal service cannot forward DMV mail to a forwarding address, so keep your address updated on DMV2U​.

You must immediately notify police if you are a driver involved in an accident meeting any of the same criteria required under DMV Accident Reporting Requirements (see above).

Use a non-emergency police phone number.

If you have a traffic accident, you must:

Stop at Once

Stop at the accident scene or as close as possible without blocking or endangering other traffic.  

Following a traffic accident, you must carry out duties of a driver.

Below are links to Oregon law that outline legal duties. 
  • ORS 811.700 outlines duties of a driver when property is damaged; and  
  • ORS 811.705​ outlines duties of a driver to injured persons.​

Render Aid

Give aid to injured people. Remember, injured people should never be moved carelessly. In many cases, they should not be moved at all except by emergency staff or someone trained in first aid. If someone is killed or unconscious, the driver must remain at the scene until a police officer arrives.

Exchange Information (printable checklist to keep in your car)

Give the other driver, passengers in the vehicle, or any injured pedestrian your:

  • Name;
  • Address;
  • Driver license number;
  • License plate number; and
  • Your insurance information.

Report the Accident to DMV (instructions above)

​If you hit an unoccupied vehicle, try to find the owner. If you can't find the owner, leave a note that says you are the person who hit the vehicle and how to contact you. By law, ORS 811.700(1)(B), you must write your name and address on the note, and a brief description of what happened.
If you damage property other than a vehicle, you also must try to find the owner or someone in charge of the property to report the damage.

If you hit and injure an animal:

  • Stop and check the extent of injury;
  • Try to get the animal out of the way of traffic if it’s safe to do so;
  • Immediately report the animal's injuries to its owner; or
  • If you can't find the owner, report the injuries to the nearest police agency.

If you have a crash on the highway and you have no injury, you should move your vehicle over to the shoulder if it’s safe to do so. This helps keep traffic moving. You will also avoid getting a ticket for failure to remove your vehicle.

Frequently Asked Questions