Who determines how much DMV charges?
DMV's fees are set/approved by the Oregon legislature.
Can I pay with a personal check?
Yes, DMV accepts personal checks. ID for the issuer of the check may be requested, so if you are paying your fees with a personal check issued by someone else bring them and their valid ID along.
Personal checks should be payable to "Oregon DMV" and must include the following information in order to be accepted by the DMV:
- Check writer's name (must be pre-printed on the check);
- Bank routing and account number, or control number for money orders;
- Check writer's address (may be handwritten);
- Amount of check (the written amount and printed numeric amount must be identical);
- Check writer's signature (pre-printed stamped signatures for businesses are acceptable);
- Date that the check was written; and
- Any other information required for special circumstances.
Can I pay with a credit or debit card?
Due to the added merchant fees involved, DMV only accepts credit and debit cards for online vehicle registration renewals. Also, vehicle registration renewals carried out at DEQ emissions testing facilities may be paid for with a debit or credit card. Any transactions, including vehicle registration renewals, carried out in a DMV office requires payment in the form of a check, money order or cash. However, ATM machines are available in most DMV offices, and they accept a wide array of credit and debit cards.