Skip to main content
OL&I Logo

Housing Discrimination Complaint

Oregon law prohibits discrimination in housing based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, familial status, source of income or disability.

The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI), Civil Rights Division (CRD), can investigate allegations of such discrimination to determine if there is substantial evidence supporting the allegations. Many kinds of unfair treatment and discrimination do not violate the law, and thus the Division may decide not to investigate your allegations.

An Investigator may request documentation such as copies of your rental agreement, rules and regulations, written notices and any other documents relevant to the complaint. Not all unfair discriminatory treatment is unlawful.

What we investigate

The Civil Rights Division (CRD) investigates allegations of employment discrimination or retaliation and any supporting substantial evidence you submit.

What is the questionnaire

The questionnaire is a form which assists the intake staff in determining whether the division has jurisdiction to investigate the claims, and if so, the information provided on this form will be used to draft the complaint. If you file a formal complaint, the questionnaire will become part of a public record once the case is closed.

Filling out the questionnaire

You must complete all applicable portions of this questionnaire. Additional documents are not required at this stage.


It takes approximately 10 business days to hear back from CRD. You will be contacted as soon as your questionnaire is assigned to an Intake Officer.

Contact information

It is your responsibility to contact this office in writing advising us of changes in your address or phone number.


For CRD to have jurisdiction over a retaliation claim, you must show that the retaliation occurred because of your involvement in a protected activity. There are many instances of retaliation over which CRD does not have jurisdiction.

Private attorney

You may consult an attorney at any time before or during a CRD investigation. Your attorney may also draft and submit your complaint, but it must contain your signature. You are not required to retain an attorney. You may wish to contact the Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral program at 503-684-3763 or 1-800-452-7636.

Complainant information

I am submitting this questionnaire in confidence and request that my address, telephone numbers, and email address not be disclosed.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how