Skip to main content
OL&I Logo

Your Rights to Public Places

It’s illegal for places that do business with the public to discriminate against you because of certain protected characteristics.

In Oregon, this includes public accommodations.” A public accommodation is a private business or organization that offers goods or services to the public. This includes any place that offers the public something, whether it is goods, services, lodging, amusements or otherwise.

It is illegal to discriminate in places of public accommodation on the basis of race, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, or age (18 years of age and older).

No career school (private vocational, professional, or trade) licensed to operate in Oregon may discriminate in its admission or instruction practices because of an individual’s race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, marital status, religion, national origin, age, or physical or mental disabilities.

If you think you are being discriminated against in a public place in Oregon, you can file a complaint. You can also contact us at or call 971-673-0761.

Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries protects your civil rights in our state.

Discrimination in public places could look like:
  • Being asked to leave a store or restaurant because of your race
  • Not being served at a grocery store because of your sexual orientation
  • Your family is offered different rental options or prices than people of a different national origin
  • You’re evicted after your landlord finds out your sexual orientation

We can help

If you think you are being discriminated against in a public place in Oregon, you can file a complaint here. You can also contact us at or call 971-673-0761.

The law

Disclaimer: This website is not intended as legal advice. Any responses to specific questions are based on the facts as we understand them and the law that was current when the responses were written. They are not intended to apply to any other situations. This communication is not an agency order. If you need legal advice, please consult an attorney.​

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how