Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

Filing a workers' compensation claim

How do I file a workers’ compensation claim?

Tell your employer right away about your injury and ask for an Oregon Form 801, the Worker’s and Employer’s Report of Occupational Injury or Disease/Illness. It is your right to file a workers’ compensation claim. You also have the right to not file a claim. No one else should make these decisions for you.

Your employer must send your workers’ compensation claim (Form 801) to its insurer within five days of being notified of your injury. It is illegal for employers to do anything to keep employees from filing claims.

If you seek medical treatment for your injury, tell the doctor you were hurt on the job. You and your doctor should complete Oregon Form 827, Worker’s and Physician’s Report for Workers’ Compensation Claims. Medical providers must report job-related injuries to your employer’s workers’ compensation insurer (the company from which your employer has purchased workers’ compensation insurance) within three working days.

My employer will not report my work-related injury or illness to its insurance carrier. What can I do?

Your employer should have the workers' compensation insurance information posted in the workplace. If so, you can contact the insurance company and report the claim yourself. If your employer does not have the insurance information posted, you can contact our office for help getting that information.

​​​​​​Contact us

800-927-1271 (toll-free)


Para información en español