The Background Check Unit (BCU) may conduct child protective services (CPS) checks for certain requestors. Checks may only be requested by government agencies or other agencies noted below. BCU cannot provide the results of this check directly to the individual. Information regarding the request form is provided below.
BCU does not have authority to provide child protective service information for individuals currently under investigation. If your request is for investigative purposes, please contact the local Child Welfare branch office in the county where the individual previous lived. A list of branch office contact numbers may be found at http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/Offices/Pages/Child-Welfare.aspx.
There are only four reasons for which BCU may conduct these checks.
- Under the federal Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006, Section 152, BCU may conduct a child protective services check for government agencies or private foster care or adoption agencies. CPS checks are only available on the following individuals:
- Foster parents who have lived in Oregon during the past five years (from the date of the request).
- Adoptive parents who have lived in Oregon during the past five years (from the date of the request).
- Adult household members who have lived in Oregon during the past five years (from the date of the request).
- Under the Child Care and Development Block Grant Act of 2014, federal regulations require comprehensive background checks on childcare providers. BCU may conduct a CPS check for government child care licensing agencies or private child care agencies and providers. CPS checks are only available on the following individuals:
- Individuals providing licensed or registered day care in their home ("home child care");
- Adult household members in a home child care; or
- Employees in a child care agency.
If an individual does not fall into these categories, but your agency believes that the Block Grant requirements still apply, please include additional information explaining why the individual is subject to the Block Grant.
- Juvenile justice employees, volunteers and contractors under the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) in Oregon ONLY.
We are not able to provide CPS information for PREA employees or volunteers in other states.
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) and Child Abuse Intervention Center (CAIC) organizations in Oregon ONLY.
We are not able to provide CPS information for CASA volunteers in other states.
Abuse/Neglect Registry Information Request Form.
In order to request a child protective services check from BCU, complete this form. Please note:
- This form must be type-written and signed.
- Complete one form for each individual for whom a child abuse/neglect finding request is being processed.
- Email completed requests to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BCU shall respond via secure e-mail. Please make sure the any e-mail address provided is able to receive secure e-mail.
Please direct any questions to email@example.com.