Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Where is my refund?

Check your refund status

You may be able to get a tax refund if you've paid too much tax or you're receiving a refundable tax credit (such as the Earned Income Credit, Oregon Kids Credit, or kicker). 

In 2024, eligible Oregon taxpayers will receive a “kicker" tax credit. Your kicker is either included in your refund or it will reduce the amount of tax you owe.

Use our Where's My Refund? tool to check refund status.

Before you start, you need

  • Social Security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)
  • Filing status
  • Your exact refund amount

How long does it take to receive a refund?

  • Most e-file returns: Up to two weeks
  • Other returns: Up to 16 weeks

Learn more about the Where's My Refund? Refund Processing Timeline

Some tax returns need extra review. We review returns to ensure they are accurate and complete. We also review returns to protect you from fraud and identity theft. Extra processing time may be needed. 

If you received a refund amount different from the amount on your tax return, we'll mail you a letter explaining the difference. Wait for that letter or view the letter on Revenue Online before you contact us.

Prior year return or amended return refunds

You must contact us to check the status of a prior year or amended tax refund.

Refunds for businesses

Use our Where's My Refund? tool to check your refund status.

What you'll need:

  • Federal employer identification number (FEIN)
  • The exact refund amount 


Visit our forms and publications page to search and download any of the following forms:

  • Change of Address/Name to notify us of changes to your home mailing address or name.
  • Form OR-243 to claim a refund for someone who is deceased.
  • Unclaimed Check Request to request a replacement refund check.
  • Tax Information Authorization and Power of Attorney for Representation if you are acting as a representative for someone.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, unless your bank is outside the United States. Direct deposit is the fastest way to get your tax refund. Direct deposit is available for all Oregon returns, paper or electronic. Check your account information carefully. We can’t change this information once you submit your return.​

​​You can check the status of your refund on our website (Where's My Refund?) or through our automated phone system at 503-378-4988 or toll-free at 800-356-4222. 

To check your refund status, you'll need:  

  • ​​The Social Security number of the first person listed on your return.  
  • The type of the tax return you filed: Form OR-40, Form OR-40-N, or Form OR-40-P.  
  • The amount of refund requested on your return. 

You can check and update your address in several ways:

​If your refund is apportioned between several accounts due to past due government debt, allow Other Agency Accounts (OAA) unit four to six weeks for processing. Allow three months for all other types of apportionments. 

​Each situation is different. Contact us​ to discuss your specific situation.​

​Yes. Federal and Oregon returns are separate.

Did you move without updating your address? Your check might get returned as undeliverable. If you think this happened to you, check Revenue Online to see if your refund has been issued or contact us.​

​The lost check must be at least 30 days old. Contact us for a Statement of Ownership form to request a new check. Allow two to four weeks for your replacement check to arrive after you send us the completed form.

You will receive a letter from us within 10 days of your refund deposit.  Please wait until you receive the letter before contacting us.

Common changes include:

  • Income, withholding, or payments don't match our records.
  • You don't qualify for a tax credit.
  • We used your refund to pay a past tax debt.

Expect a letter outlining any changes and your new refund amount within 10 days of your refund. Wait until you receive the letter before contacting us.

Past due government debt

If you owe money to a federal or state government agency, they may partner with us to collect it.

Common debts include:

  • Child support
  • Student loan
  • Court-ordered debt

We can use your refund to pay all or part of a debt.

Visit Other Agency Accounts for more information.

No, you must select direct deposit when you file your return. Once you submit your return we can’t change or add direct deposit information.​

​No, we can't change the direct deposit information provided on your tax return. If a direct deposit fails, we mail a check to the address on your return. The check takes about two weeks to reach you after the attempted direct deposit date. ​

​Yes, if we have not completed processing your return you can contact us to receive a check instead. If you close your bank account or realize the direct deposit information on your return was incorrect contact us as soon as possible. ​

No. We don’t notify you when we deposit your refund. You must check your bank account. We deposit most refunds about two weeks after we receive a return. If we need to review your return, it may delay your direct deposit.​

​If it's been more than two years since your expected refund, visit the  Oregon State Treasury website and  search their unclaimed property database. Otherwise, contact us​.​

When we use part of your refund to pay debt, we issue the remaining balance to you at the same time. We also send a letter that explains the debts paid.​

If you filed a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service, they'll forward your check to your new address. You can also update your address with us so we can send your check to your new address. You can use Revenue Online, contact us, or send us a Change of Address/Name form.​

​If you want your Oregon refund apportioned between yourself and your spouse, you need to request it in writing. When your return is processes, we'll notify you of our intent to apply the joint refund to any debts owed to the state of Oregon. When you receive our notice, send us a request to apportion the refund. You must respond within 30 days of the date on our notice. You can use federal Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation. We will apportion the refund based on your federal adjusted gross income. We must have a copy of your federal return to process the apportionment.​

​Write to request an apportionment within 30 days of the date of the notice telling you your refund was applied to your spouse's outstanding debt.​

​First, we must process the return and apply the refund to any outstanding account(s). Then we apportion any remaining amount and issue a check to you for your portion​.

​We begin paying interest on your Oregon refund 45 days after the filing due date or 45 days after you file your return (whichever is later). We do not pay interest on reissued checks (including forged checks).

For tax year 2023 calendar year filers, the return filing due date is April 15, 2024. Interest calculated on refunds will start to accrue no earlier than May 30, 2024 (45 days after April 15, 2024).

Contact us

Phone: 503-378-4988 or 800-356-4222
TTY: We accept all relay calls.
Fax: 503-945-8738