Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Motorcycle Instruction Permit & Endorsement

Do you need a
In May of 2025, to board an airplane, you will need a particular type of identification such as a passport or a REAL ID-compliant driver license or ID card. Find out more about REAL ID. To switch to a REAL ID-compliant license or ID card, visit a DMV office for standby service or make an appointment.

There are 3 types of privileges issued to motorcycle riders:
  • Motorcycle Instruction Permit;
  • Motorcycle Endorsement; or
  • Restricted (Three Wheel) Motorcycle Endorsement.

Who needs a Permit/Endorsement?

You need a motorcycle permit or endorsement if your “bike”:

  • Goes over 30 mph on level ground; or
  • Is over 50 cc.

For more information on motorcycles, mopeds, autocycles, off-road vehicles and their endorsement requirements, see the Motorcycle & Moped Manual.

Motorcycle Instruction Permit

This permit allows you to ride a motorcycle with certain restrictions.

To get a permit, you must:


  • Must be accompanied by, and under the supervision and visual observation of, a rider on a separate motorcycle who is at least 21 years of age and who has a valid motorcycle endorsement;
  • Ride during daylight hours only; and
  • No passengers.

For more information, see the Motorcycle & Moped Manual.

Motorcycle Endorsement

This endorsement allows you to ride a 2-wheel motorcycle.

To get an endorsement, you must:

  • Be 16 or older;
  • Have a valid Driver License;
  • Pass the rider education course from Team Oregon**;
    • The Basic Course with in-person classroom will satisfy both the DMV knowledge and skills tests requirement;
    • The Basic Course with online classroom and the Intermediate Course will only satisfy the skills tests requirement, the DMV knowledge test is also required;
  • Decide if you need a REAL ID;
  • Pass the motorcycle endorsement knowledge test (if required) - options to take the endorsement knowledge test:
  • Go to a DMV office;
  • Pass a vision test;
  • Show proof of your residence address and identity (if you want a REAL ID you must bring additional documents);
  • Pay the fees that apply; and
  • Get your picture taken.
**Out of state? Call 503-945-5000 (Statewide Relay TTY 711)
If you are temporarily living out of state, you may complete an approved Motorcycle Rider Education Course in that state.  You must apply for a motorcycle endorsement within two years from when you complete the course, unless the course completion card expires sooner.

These courses are approved by DMV:
  • Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) motorcycle rider education course;
  • Idaho Skills Training Advantage for Riders (STAR);
  • California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP) Motorcyclist Training Course;
  • Total Control Riding Clinic;
  • Motorcycle Ohio Rider Enhancement (MORE); and
  • Puget Sound Safety - Motorcycle Education Program (PSS-MEP)

Restricted (Three Wheel) Motorcycle Endorsement

This endorsement allows you to ride a 3-wheel motorcycle.

To get your endorsement, you must:

Who needs a helmet?

Every rider and passenger must wear a DOT approved helmet.  It’s the law.


The fee is $5 ($7.00 effective January 1, 2024) each time you take the test.  Everything you need to pass the test is in the Oregon Motorcycle & Moped Manual​.

Options to take the endorsement knowledge test:
If you take the test online:
  • The laptop or desktop computer must have a functioning keyboard, mouse and webcam.
  • There are 25 multiple-choice questions.
  • The test is available in:
    • ​English
    • Spanish
If you take the test at a DMV office:​
  • Visit a DMV office​ for standby service or make an appointment.
  • DMV stops giving the test 1 hour before closing.
  • Testing is on a touch screen computer.
  • There are 25 multiple-choice questions.
  • The test is available in:
    • English
    • Spanish


  • No books.
  • No notes.
  • No phones.
  • No talking.
  • No electronic devices.
  • No cheating.
  • No-one else in the test area, unless you need a translator.

If you are caught cheating, your test will be stopped.  You will not be allowed to test again for 90 days.

If you fail the knowledge test, you may test again the same day, depending on the DMV office testing resource availability.​

Somebody loves you. Buckle up. Every time.

Frequently Asked Questions

This 4th of July, be a hero.  Designate or be a sober driver. Don’t drink and drive.  Buzzed driving is drunk driving.Este 4 de Julio, sé valiente. Designa o sé un conductor sobrio. Si tomas, no manejes.

Depend on a sober ride this independence day.  If you feel different, you drive different. Drive High Get a DUI.
Este 4 de Julio, no manejes high.  Designa a un conductor sobrio.   Si te sientes diferente, manejas diferente.