Skip to main content Homepage

Hardship Permits


A hardship permit is available for some driver license suspensions or for a driver revoked as a habitual offender.

A hardship permit allows you to drive a non-commercial motor vehicle only.

​A hardship permit allows you to drive:

  • To and from work;
  • On the job;
  • To seek employment; or
  • To take part in a gambling addiction, alcohol or drug rehabilitation program.
  • For necessary services:
    • ​Grocery shopping;
    • Driving yourself or your children to school;
    • Driving to medical appointments; and
    • Caring for elderly family members

You cannot get a hardship permit if your license is revoked for a traffic crime.

To make sure you are eligible, contact DMV at 503-945-5000.

  • Download and fill out the application;
  • Get all required documentation;
  • Pay the fees; and
  • Mail your application, required documents and payment (check or money order) to:
    • DMV - Driver Suspension Unit
      1905 Lana Avenue NE
      Salem, OR 97314
  • You can’t get a hardship permit at a DMV office.
  • You may be required to serve a mandatory suspension length before we issue the permit.
  • We won’t issue the permit until the suspension is in effect.

Frequently Asked Questions