Skip to main content Homepage

Vehicle Trip Permits


You may not need to purchase a trip permit. Please read the “Grace Period” section of the DMV COVID-19 page.

Trip permits allow you to temporarily use:

  • An unregistered vehicle on Oregon roads.
  • A registered vehicle differently than the current registration allows.

Buy a Trip Permit

You can buy a trip permit:

  • At a DMV office (best option if you need a trip permit immediately).
  • Using DMV2U for:
    • Passenger Vehicles
    • Light Trailers
    • Travel Trailers
    • Campers
    • Motor Homes
    • Snowmobiles
  •  At most Commerce and Compliance Division, registration offices for:
    • Heavy Motor Vehicle;
    • Heavy Trailer; or
    • Registration Weight. 

To apply, you must provide:

  • Your name and address;
  • Your driver license or ID card number and the state it was issued by;
  • The year, make, and model of the vehicle;
  • The vehicle identification number;
    • If Oregon DMV has no record of the vehicle, provide a copy of your insurance card or policy, registration card, sales contract, or a pencil tracing of the vehicle identification number;
  • Insurance company name and policy number (for motor vehicles only);
  • Any additional requirements listed for the type of trip permit you are applying for; and
  • The trip permit fee.

Types of Trip Permits

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how