Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

Motorcycle Instruction Permit & Endorsement

Do you need a
Real ID?
In May of 2025, to board an airplane, you will need a particular type of identification such as a passport or a Real ID-compliant driver license or ID card. Find out more about Real ID. To switch to a Real ID-compliant license or ID card, you need to make an appointment or visit a DMV office for standby service.

There are 3 types of privileges issued to motorcycle riders:
  • Motorcycle Instruction Permit;
  • Motorcycle Endorsement; or
  • Restricted (Three Wheel) Motorcycle Endorsement.

Who needs a Permit/Endorsement?

You need a motorcycle permit or endorsement if your “bike”:

  • Goes over 30 mph on level ground; or
  • Is over 50 cc.

For more information on motorcycles, mopeds, autocycles, off-road vehicles and their endorsement requirements, see the Motorcycle & Moped Manual.

Motorcycle Instruction Permit

This permit allows you to ride a motorcycle with certain restrictions.

To get a permit, you must:


  • Must be accompanied by, and under the supervision and visual observation of, a rider on a separate motorcycle who is at least 21 years of age and who has a valid motorcycle endorsement;
  • Ride during daylight hours only; and
  • No passengers.

For more information, see the Motorcycle & Moped Manual.

Motorcycle Endorsement

This endorsement allows you to ride a 2-wheel motorcycle.

To get an endorsement, you must:

  • Pass the rider education course from TEAM OREGON**;
    • Basic Rider Training (BRT) will waive both the DMV knowledge and skills tests;
    • Intermediate Rider Training (IRT) or online training courses, such as eRider, will only waive the skills tests, the DMV knowledge test is required;
  • Decide if you need a Real ID;
  • Make an appointment or visit a DMV office for standby service;
  • Bring your TEAM OREGON completion card (if applicable);
  • Show proof of your residence address and identity (if you want a Real ID you must bring additional documents);
  • Pass the motorcycle knowledge test (if required). The fee is $5 each time you take the test;
  • Pass a vision test;
  • Pay the fees that apply; and
  • Get your picture taken.
**Out of state? Call 503-945-5000
If you are temporarily living out of state, you may complete an approved Motorcycle Rider Education Course in that state.  You must apply for a motorcycle endorsement within two years from when you complete the course, unless the course completion card expires sooner.

These courses are approved by DMV:
  • Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) motorcycle rider education course;
  • Idaho Skills Training Advantage for Riders (STAR);
  • California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP) Motorcyclist Training Course;
  • Total Control Riding Clinic;
  • Motorcycle Ohio Rider Enhancement (MORE); and
  • Puget Sound Safety - Motorcycle Education Program (PSS-MEP)

Restricted (Three Wheel) Motorcycle Endorsement

This endorsement allows you to ride a 3-wheel motorcycle.

To get your endorsement, you must:

Who needs a helmet?

Every rider and passenger must wear a DOT approved helmet.  It’s the law.

Move over. For Tow Trucks and vehicles with their hazards on, for Emergency Responders, for ODOT Maintenance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Seat Recommendations: Choosing the right seat.  Rear-facing car seat, forward-facing car seat, booster seat, seat belt. To maxim Las recomendaciones sobre: el car seat correto.  Car seat que mira hacia atrás, car seat que hacia el frente, asiento elevado o “booster”, cinturón de seguridad.  Para maximizar la seguridad de tu hijo, mantenlo en el asiento del vehículo el mayor tiempo posible.


Have your little one’s back.  Rear-facing until they are 2 years old.