This guidance document does not have the force and effect of law and is not meant to bind the public in any way. This guidance is intended only to provide clarity regarding existing requirements under the law.
The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) values the health and safety of movers and consumers. We recognize the risks associated with COVID-19 and the need to mitigate those risks while moving.
On March 23, Gov. Kate Brown issued Executive Order 20-12
, effective immediately until further notice. This is a statewide order and failure to comply with the order will be considered an immediate danger to public health. ODOT does not have the authority to enforce the social distancing guidelines and offers this document as guidance only.
The Department of Homeland Security, through the Cybersecurity Infrastructure Security Agency guidelines, has identified employees supporting or enabling transportation functions as essential workers. In order to keep movers and consumers safe, ODOT recommends movers and consumers follow all guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and in the Governor’s order.
In addition to the guidance provided by CDC, ODOT is providing some best practice reminders for both moving companies and consumers.Best Practices for Moving Companies
Best Practices for Those Planning to Move
- Provide hand sanitizer and gloves for moving crews if available.
- On the job, movers should wash their hands or use of hand sanitizer as frequently as possible.
- Practice social distancing. Movers should avoid all unnecessary person-to-person contact with each other and with the consumer including when greeting the consumer.
- Employers should monitor employee health to determine if they should report to work or not.
- Routinely sanitize truck cabs and moving equipment.
- If you are part of a vulnerable population, schedule your move after the pandemic is over if possible. If you are not able to delay your move, please take appropriate precautions to keep yourself safe.
- If you or anyone within your household may have contracted COVID-19 or are isolating due to exposure to the virus, contact your moving company immediately.
- Minimize the number of people at your residence during the move including friends and visitors.
- Have soap and/or hand sanitizer available for the movers to use.
Practice social distancing. Avoid all unnecessary person-to-person contact including when greeting the movers.
Please read the Governor’s order
and stay up to date on all COVID-19 information
including best practices at mitigating the spread of the virus.